Chapter 5

With the help of Kumral Abdal and Mihrimah, they had nursed Governor Saguros back to health. At least enough to travel. Goktug, who also was injured because he protected Prenses Hera was also in good enough shape to join on the next mission.

Osman had ordered his alps to investigate the matter but didn't find any evidence of who the assassins were. Not even the kitchen staff, who had been knocked unconscious, knew how they managed to sneak into the inn.

Early in the morning, Eva had helped Mihrimah to quickly change into her armor, so she could attend in the upcoming mission. She never got any order from Osman Bey, but that wasn't going to stop her. Mihrimah took her sword Yağmur and strapped it to her hip and left her room along with Eva and out to the courtyard.

When she entered the courtyard, her uncle and his wives along with Governor Saguros and Hera had yet to arrive, so she joined her uncle Gunduz and aunt Ayşe. They both looked at each other but didn't comment on her attire.

A short time after Osman, Bala and Malhun arrived with Governor Saguros and Hera. Osman noticed Mihrimah in her armor and frowned but saved the upcoming lecture for later. He figured that Eva, who also was helping in finding clues, told Mihrimah about how they were going to go to Inegol with Saguros.

Mihrimah knew better than to approach Osman Bey now, so she stayed by her uncle Gunduz' side. If only Serkan had been there, he would know how to bend Osman's decision about her joining missions, but he was undercover now and thus wasn't around.

''We came, and you welcomed us in a noble way and honored us, and yet you do that even now.'' Saguros praised the hospitality. Osman smiled. ''We can't you let go alone.''

''What do you mean?'' Saguros asked perplexed. ''My enemies are playing their games in secret. They wouldn't dare to attack me on the road.''

''They don't know when to stop.'' Osman countered. ''But they know how to lay low and ambush, when you least expect it. They can do it, whether you're on the road or not.''

Mihrimah saw that the Governor had trouble understanding what Osman Bey was saying and spoke. ''What Osman Bey means, not to forget what happened yesterday -''

''Therefore, my alps and I will accompany you.'' Osman interrupted her. Mihrimah quickly turned to her uncle and scowled by not mentioning her too.

''Have you received and news about an ambush, Osman Bey?'' Saguros asked. ''Both you and your niece are dressed like you're going to fight.''

''Their games and traps are like sand in the desert. You never know when they're going to strike.'' Osman said. ''And we are always on alert and ready to fight.''

Saguros was a little insecure but gave in. ''I am happy to have made friends like you. Your alp even used himself as a shield to save my daughter.''

''They aren't just soldiers. They are Kayi Alps.'' Osman said proudly and everyone agreed with him. ''Alpler! Get ready! I'll be back soon...''

Osman motioned to Mihrimah to come with him, and she obediently did so and followed him into the inn.

Osman stopped up and faced Mihrimah, her fists were clenched and her eyes were filled with defiance. Osman, who had a grave expression, stood firm, as he met her stare.

''Mihrimah, I don't have to tell you, but...'' Osman said, with a low and firm voice. ''You will not be joining this mission. It is my decision.''

Mihrimah's jaw tightened, and could feel the frustration bubble inside of her. ''And I've made mine, Osman Bey. I will not be left behind while our brothers risk their lives.''