Chapter 9

After Turgut and Mari were saved, he was gravely injured, but survived with the capable hands of Kumral Abdal.

Kosses came to talk Osman, because of his sister, whom he wanted back. But Osman refused so, because they wouldn't give Mari away, as she needed their help and willingly came to the tribe.

Osman ordered for Mari to come and see her brother. Kosses was urging for her to return with him, but she refused and Kosses left the tribe without Mari, angry.

At Inegol Castle, Vizier Alemshah visited Nikola. Kosses and Rogatus were also present.

At the Kayi tribe they were having supper. Turgut and Mari were also present alongside Osman's family.

''How are we going to save Boran, Osman Bey.'' Turgut asked worried for his friend. ''He is in the hands of the cruel and imprisoned in a dungeon. I know what those dastards* are doing to him.''

Osman only smiled and said proudly. ''He can be in a dungeon, but he will be alone with his Rabb.* Dungeons gives us privacy. Let's say that he was exiled to the infidels lands. Exile is Hijrah* for us. Let's say they kill Boran. Death is Shahada* for us. It is martyrdom. But, we will not leave anyone behind. We will save my brother, Boran and then we will move forward.''

Osman then took a piece of flatbread. ''Bismillah Rahman Rahim.'' he said and split it amongst everyone present.

Selcan, who was also present looked at the worried Mari. ''Kizim, why are you not eating?''

On the verge of crying of worry for her own safety and others, Mari said. ''Because of my brother's threats. I'm afraid he will do something, Selcan Hatun.'' She then looked at everyone who was casually eating. ''It seems you're not affected at all.''

Mihrimah gave Mari a smile. ''Mari, our ancestors gained the lands with their blood and swords, as well as our people present here today. We all want the justice and mercy to prevail in our lands.''

Mari's concern seemed to falter, and Mihrimah continued to speak. ''If we got intimidated by the emperor and surrendered you now, the way we were raised would have been for nothing. Our ancestors used to say 'If cruelty gets in through the window, the morals get out through the door.' ''

Mari was still not completely convinced. ''But, we're talking about the emperor's army. I know Osman Bey's and Turgut Bey's tribes. How can you deal with them?''

Bala and Malhun smiled at Mari, and Turgut Bey spoke. ''Like Mihrimah said, even if he attacks us with a huge army, he can't defeat us.''

Everyone nodded.

''Dodurga, Yazir, Eymur, Salur, Bayat and Afshar.'' Malhun spoke. ''All the tribes from Kastamonu to Denizli.''

''If an army comes to fight us, we become one fist.'' Bala added.

''As long we all stand together, no one can stop us.'' Mihrimah finished.

Sheikh Edebali smiled at the three women and turned to Mari. ''Do you know what a river is? Have you ever seen one?''

Mari smiled and nodded.

''Do you know what a sea is?''

''I do.'' Mari answered. ''In Constantinople, I used to go to the shore and watch it almost every day.''

''Well, the origin of those rivers are the same. So are ours. Just like those rivers, we become one in the sea, we become one under the sanjak of Islam. We have allies from every tribe and land, who mentions us and who we mention. For those allies , we fight battles, and have long journeys. Is Allah allows it, we will go to Konya for an ally soon. In Konya, I will also visit Sultan Mesud.''