Chapter 6

Within her quarters, Mihrimah lay on her bed and looked at the ceiling, trying to figure out a way to persuade Osman to let her partake in mission, and not only caring care of the mundane affairs.

That was until she heard someone call out to her. ''Mihrimah'' Selcan Ana called, she was concerned about Mihrimah.

Even thought Mihrimah and her uncle were inside the inn, their fight could still be heard outside.

Even though Mihrimah didn't react and just turned to the side, so her back was facing Selcan. ''To what do I owe the pleasure of your company?''

Selcan settled at the end of Mihrimah's bed, so she at least could see her face. Her gaze meet Mihrimah's and she could see the sorrow and bitterness in them.

''Come.'' Selcan motion for Mihrimah to rest and her lap, which Mihrimah obeyed to. Selcan stroke her hair, while speaking. ''I sensed your unrest, Mihrimah'im. And I know better than to ask how you're feeling.''

Mihrimah sighed. ''It's always the same, Selcan Ana.'' she confessed. ''As always, he denied my request to join the mission. He believes it is too perilous for me. What is the point to train, if I'm only going to sit around and do nothing,''

Selcan's heart ached for her great-niece, she knew all too well the strength and resilience within Mihrimah's spirit. To be denied the opportunity to prove herself must have felt like a betrayal of her own capabilities.

''I understand your disappointment, Mihrimah," Selcan said softly. "But you must believe that Osman's decision stems from a place of love and concern for your well-being. He only wishes to shield you from harm."

Mihrimah nodded, though the pain in her eyes betrayed her. ''I know, Selcan Ana. But it is difficult to accept being sidelined, especially when I know I am capable of fighting. Grandfather, taught me, how to fight. You taught me, how to fight.''

Selcan motioned Mihrimah to sit and she took her hands and gently squeezed them. ''You're worth a lot, Mihrimah. You possess strength and compassion that are indispensable to our tribe. Do not measure your value solely by the absence of a sword in your hand.''

Mihrimah still wasn't convinced. ''But what am I to do, Selcan Ana? How can I reconcile with this. Next time he does this will be the last. I have been patient and obedient for a long time now. And I've had enough. If I can't fight for our Cause beside Osman Bey, then I'll fight with someone will accept.''

''What are you saying, Mihrimah?''

''You heard me, Selcan Ana. I have things I also want to do, and if Osman Bey keeps standing in my way, then we can't be at the same place.'' Mihrimah made clear, and left her room, leaving Selcan shocked at her niece's words.

On the way to check on Mihrimah, Bala and Malhun walked to her room, but soon saw Mihrimah walk past them without saying a word.

''Mihrimah!'' they could hear someone call after the girl, revealing being Selcan.

''Ana, what happened?'' Bala asked confused.

''I'm not sure myself, kizim. I thought that I had managed to calm her down. But I was wrong.''

''Is it that bad?'' Malhun asked. ''It's looks worse than the other times she is left behind.''

''You're right, her patience must have run out after all this time.'' Selcan said, worried for her great-niece.

''Let me try to talk to her. She usually listens to me from time to time. Maybe it'll work.''

''Inshallah, kizim.''

Mihrimah ran to the stables. Her horse Toprak senses her anger and distress and nuzzled his head against Mihrimah, who stroke his head.

''Mihrimah.'' Bala called concerned.

Mihrimah turned to face her. ''What do you want, Bala?'' she snapped at her aunt.

Bala approached slowly. ''I know you're upset, Mihrimah,'' she said gently. ''But please, let me help you.''

Mihrimah scoffed. ''How could you possibly understand, Bala?''

''I don't. But have you tried a different approach to things?''

''Different approach?''

''Yes. You know that you get to join along the Bacilar. That was you don't need to wait for you to be ordered to tag along. Both Malhun and I let you come with us whenever we need to fight.''

''That's the problem, yengye. Emmi, is never around when I fight with you and Malhun yengye. So he doesn't see that I'm not a child anymore and that, I too can fight like any other alp. He cares about Aygul maybe as much as me, and yet he accepted her to be one of his alps.''

Bala reached out and gently placing a hand on Mihrimah's shoulder. ''We are stronger together, Mihrimah. Lean on me whenever you need to, for I am here for you, now and always.''

Mihrimah looked at Bala and surprised the woman, but then hugged her back, but she couldn't see the look on Mihrimah's face. Little did her aunt know, that in the near future, Mihrimah would be acting on her own accord, regarding of the outcome of her relationship with her uncle Osman.

The Hatuns, except for Mihrimah returned to the tribe, while Turgut set his course towards the road of Inegol along with his and some of Osman's Alps. He then send a scout to let him know, when the carriage with Mari was nearing them.

Nikola was waiting for the Mari's carriage, that was being escorted by her brother Kosses. As soon as Mari goes of of the carriage, arrows are sent flying towards the Byzantine soldiers, and it wasrevealed that Turgut Bey has ambushed them, much to Nikola's dismay.

Mari revealed that she will never marry Nikola and wanted to go with Turgut Bey. Kosses disagreed and took his sword, only for Mari to point it towards herself and threatened her brother to let her go, or he could kill her instead. Kosses lowered his sword and Mari approached Turgut and left her brother behind.

After they escaped, Kosses and Nikola tried to track them down. Turgut's alp stood behind to delay the soldiers, so Turgut and Mari could continue to run. They eventually came to a hidden underground passage. But the dog that was following their sent discovered Turgut and Mari, who held the lid as best as they could.

On the other side, Osman and his alps escorted Governor Saguros and Prenses Hera. On the road Byzantine soldiers were patrolling the road and one of the Tekfurs got word, that people were nearing them. He wouldn't let them pass, but when they realized that Governor Saguros was with them, he had no choice but to obey. Eventually Osman let Saguros, his daughter and his men ride on their own as Osman was planning to take over one of the mines, where few of Osman's alps are undercover.

Osman and his alps were laying low and waited for the perfect moment to attack the Byzantine soldiers. They attacked and managed to overpower the soldiers. Cerkutay, who was one of the alps undercover, heard the alps from the outside, and started to attack the soldiers who stood on guard. Along with the alps they succeeded.

Osman and his alps took over the mine with success, but what they didn't know was that there was explosions hidden by Rogatus and the assassin Julia. Rogatus had prepared a trap for Osman, as they knew that he would succeed in taking over the mine. There were a few alps in the tunnel and some outside the tunnel, Osman's intuition told him that there was something wrong, but he was too late and the tunnel exploded.

The explosion blasted the alps away and trapped some in the tunnel, and some didn't survive.

Word count: 1252