Chapter 12

A/N - This was hard to write, given the torture I put Mihrimah through in this chapter😔

The rays of sunlight inched their way across the room, they danced over Mihrimah's closed eyelids, making her feel the warmth. The warmth seeped through, making her stir, as she opened her eyes, she was met by a ceiling. Then, she realized that she wasn't in her tent, but in the inn of Sögüt.

At the same time it dawned upon her of last night's event. She had accepted Vizier Alemshah's marriage proposal. She was mentally tired, that she never had the time to process what she had gotten herself into. But she also knew, that she couldn't back down now.

After a deep sigh, she stood up and readied herself. She was immediately met by an orange-red dress and head-jewelry until she was interrupted by someone knocking on the door.

''Who is it?'' she gulped, fearing it was the Vizier. ''It is Hatice Hatun, Sultan'im. Vizier Alemshah had sent me to assist you.''

''Gelesin.'' Then a middle-aged woman came in and helped Mihrimah in the dress, which was long. She only prayed that she wouldn't trip any time soon.

''You can go now. I'll be down soon.'' Mihrimah said the the woman, and she left.

She looked at herself into the mirror and glanced from the head-jewelry to her dress, and then on the ring on her thumb.

Her tribe ring, like her uncles, grandfathers and forefathers had. The person in front of her, with the earrings, that used to belong to her mother and her fathers ring, was the only part of her that was her real self in this moment.

All the other things was a Sultana.

Mihrimah debated with herself for a second, that she hadn't completely thought her plan through. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

She was also sad that she wouldn't be able to attend Turgut and Mari's wedding, no matter how much she had looked forward to it. But spying on Alemshah was more important.

Thankfully she gave a message to Eva that if she didn't return for the wedding, then she had successfully gained Alemshah's trust. Only Eva and her uncle Osman knew of this, the rest thought that she was observing the fields around Inegol for their conquest.

She left her room and walked to the main area of the in. Looking down from the railings, she could see that the Vizier already impatient awaited for her arrival.

When she reached to the stairs, she ascended slowly, so she didn't trip. ''Günaydın.''

''Günaydın, Mihrimah.'' Alemshah greeted with a polite smile. His eyes betrayed none of the hidden agendas that lurked beneath the surface.

Mihrimah cursed herself for being so oblivious, she should have known that the Vizier harbored feelings for her. She also knew that he wanted her by his side for her title, but it only crossed her mind, before she fell asleep the prior night.

As he gestured for her to sit across him, she tried hard not to make a face. Konur wasn't around, he must had gone to carry out the Vizier's orders.

They began their breakfast, Mihrimah found herself struggling to maintain the façade of politeness that was expected of her. But she knew all too well the dangers of underestimating Alemshah and she was determined to keep her guard up at all times.

''So, Mihrimah.'' Alemshah began. ''I trust you had a restful night?''

''Yes, thank you, Alemshah.''  Mihrimah replied politely, but her tone still tinged with a hint of reservation. ''And yourself?'' Mihrimah immediately wanted to slap herself for asking such a weird question, she had no doubts that he slept well.