She's Mine: Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Eliza was mores satisfied than she would have imagined. Troy's arm was slung around her shoulder and her cheek pressed to his chest. His head was cranked back, and he stared at the office ceiling deep in thought.

"I'm sorry," she sighed.

Troy pulled his head forward and looked down at Eliza's soft hair. He followed through with his temptation and began to play with a few curls, asking, "Why?"

Eliza turned her eyes up to him and returned a look hoping she didn't really have to explain.

His smile turned up, and he shrugged, "You know, it's all good."

"You don't mind that we waited all day just to... sit on couch in silence?" she grumbled.

He looked off to the side and questioned, "You're asking me if I have a problem waiting all day to spend some time alone with you?"

Eliza's stomach turned for reasons she couldn't explain, but mystery of it was welcomed. Smiling, she playfully angled her lips up to him and he didn't waste a second returning a peck.

"You know... I was so tempted to tell him we were in a..." Eliza did her best not to choke on the finishing word, "... relationship."

Troy's brows flashed, "You don't want to be exclusive?"

"Only if we're wanting the same thing?" she cringed.

Troy gasped, "Are you saying that I can tell the world that Eliza Kelly is my gal?"

"Oh, I may have been your gal since last Saturday, but yes," she teased, though she definitely wasn't joking.

"Pourin' salt on the wound of today's thwarted events, huh?" he laughed.

She mouthed 'sorry', but he got mild revenge, after confirming they had less than five minutes, and stole a few more chaste kisses that turned a little more hot and heavy as time was running out.

Eliza closed the apartment door behind her with a smile. Right after she secured the last lock she found Emmy peeking out and grinning at her from the kitchen.

"Everything okay?" Eliza asked, not able to remove her glow.

Emmy gestured that she come closer using two fingers. Nervously, Eliza did so but then was confused when Emmy leaned into Eliza's space to take a large whiff.

"That's right, I figured I'd smell that cologne," Emmy teased.

Eliza immediately felt guilt, "Nothing happened! I–"

Emmy put her hands on Eliza's arms and shook her head, "Don't worry, girl! It's fine. No need to feel guilty. In fact, you're still home earlier than if you were staying after hours for work."

Emmy had a point. There were times when Eliza did have to come home one-to-two hours late because of work, and it got Eliza feeling less insecure about approaching Blackwell with a particular proposition. Over dinner, Eliza went over her plan again with Emmy, who was completely for it.

"Ain't no need to be nervous to exercise a legal right, baby," Emmy repeated before pinching her lips together.

Eliza shyly nodded before looking to her side at Lulu making the toy above her swinging bassinet sing the alphabet again.

"Lord," Emmy groaned, and Eliza laughed understanding Emmy's pain. "The least they could have done is had her sing it with some gusto. Some soul. Take that song to church. Give me riffs for days, and have it be five minutes until she gets to 'Z'!"