She's Mine: Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Eliza took in another deep breath before she stuck her key into her apartment's door. Once, she was through, there was immediate change in character– possibly a hint of relief– as her nose was struck with the poignant smell of a soiled diaper.

On cue, Emmy was scurrying out of the kitchen with Lulu cradled in her hands. 

"Yay! Mama is home!" Emmy quietly exclaimed with a face still twisted from the smell. 

Eliza walked up to her squirming daughter in Emmy's arms and caressed her tufts of curls. 

"I'll take her," Eliza lowly said, a small smile peeking onto her face the moment she dropped her bags and took her baby. 

"Actually–" Emmy began, but was unintentionally ignored by the weary eyed mom. 

The second Lulu was pulled from Emmy, she was irritated. Her little fists pulled up over her face and wails immediately followed. 

"What's the matter?" Eliza groaned, not used to being rejected so quickly anymore. 

"I'll admit, she's been like this half the day. It looks like she's coming down with something," Emmy confessed, taking Lulu back. 

"With what?!" Eliza panicked, fright shooting through her stomach. "Why didn't you tell me?" 

"Now, calm down a little Eliza. She is really small, but she will be okay," Emmy nodded without haste. 

"I have to take her to the doctor!" Eliza exclaimed rushing into the nursery. 

"Eliza, please–" Emmy tried but Eliza was set in panic mode. 

Eliza's exclamations were the very reason she didn't bring it up to Eliza while she was on the clock. Emmy wasn't even sure it was anything serious, but after time Lulu's little aggravations progressed. She knew that telling Eliza that her baby was not at one-hundred percent might send her flurrying through the city and through the apartment door. 

Touching the sides of her face, Eliza's antics fell into an even deeper reflection, "It's my fault. When you were gone, I probably wasn't dressing her well. I don't think I cleaned the bottles right! I didn't–" 

"Eliza!" Emmy shouted over screaming Lulu. 

The frantic mom's watery eyes were on Emmy's.

"Peace... in your home," Emmy reminded her. 

It was hard for Eliza to maintain what Emmy demanded with Lulu screaming in her arms. Just when Eliza thought her maternal instincts were starting to kick in, she felt defeated each time Lulu turned her big eyes away and let out another weak shrill. Every cough made Eliza crumble a little more on the inside, but Emmy kept her cool– clearing out the nursery to sterilize for the night. 

"She stays with me tonight," Eliza begged, her eyes bloodshot from the exhaustion/.

Emmy's eyes were wide, taken aback by the distraught woman. 

"Baby, it's okay. Don't stress out like this. I know it's hard, but..." Emmy lost her words again, confused by the woman in front of her. 

Of course, this wasn't the first time Eliza has shed fervid tears in front of her, but there was something else. Eliza held onto Lulu with her fingers gripped into her fleece blanket patterned with cheerful lambs.