She's Mine: Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Eliza noticed Emmy chuckling behind her through the reflection in the mirror. That made Eliza even more nervous about her meeting that was happening within the next two hours. 

"Do I look silly?" Eliza asked, completely self-conscious at her first attempt at spending time out of the house since the baby was born. 

"Stand up, lemme look at you," Emmy smiled. 

Eliza slowly stood up and ran her hands over her plain gray and long-sleeved maxi dress. 

"You look great! What are you worried about?" Emmy whispered loudly, while continuing to slowly bounce with Eliza's daughter who was fast asleep in the sling. 

"I don't know," Eliza sighed. 

"You're scared to meet another woman going through the same thing?" Emmy questioned. 

Eliza was stressing again, frantically shrugging, "What am I going to say to her? Why, when I'm not sure if–" 

Emmy's eyes despondently fell to the small scrunched up face, "I know Ms. Kelly, but until then it's nice to see how it goes for others. Maybe it can even help you until... until you make a final decision." 

Eliza was looking down at the small baby as well. She still wasn't sure about what she was going to do, but seeing the small baby each day wasn't making things easier. 

Suddenly, small lips parted to partake in a little yawn.  Emmy caught the worried, but dazzled look in Eliza's eyes and asked, "Are you going to be okay with leaving her?" 

"I should be used to it by now," Eliza groaned, almost with remorse. 

"True, but that was for work. It's a Saturday today and you're leaving to spend time for yourself. That's different," Emmy weakly smiled. 

"I suppose," Eliza whispered before turning back to the mirror and running her hand over her curls that were in a large bun on top of her head. 

There was a ring at the front door, and immediately both women were staring at the sleeping baby. Relieved, Emmy looked up to Eliza and tilted her head, signaling that she should hurry and get it before the visitor rang it again.

Rushing to the door, Eliza looked through the eye hole and immediate confusion came over her.

Opening the door, she questioned, "Troy?" 

"Afternoon,  Eliza," he cheered.

"What are you doing here?" she asked with wide eyes. 

"I came to get you," he joyfully answered. 

She shook her head, "Why?" 

He nervously questioned, "You recall me asking you if that was all right... right?" 

She spied over the ground in front of them and tried to recall the last words he said to her. She had been so nervous about agreeing to meet his sister that she just blindly nodded and said yes to his last question, before they had parted ways. She had assumed it was Troy asking if she was okay, but he really did ask if it was fine for him to pick her up.

"I'm so sorry. It slipped my mind, do come in. I'm almost ready," Eliza scrambled. 

Troy never let his smile fade as he looked around her large apartment space. Minimally decorated, he confirmed that she was a fan of black leather furniture and beige walls. The only way you could tell there was a baby present was the faint scent of baby powder and the small, colorful quilt draped over the arm of a love seat.