She's Mine: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Emmy held her tongue as the trio were preparing to rush out of the luxury apartment building. Her boss had been anxiously glued to her phone all morning, and was rapidly composing another email on their way to the elevator.

"Did you call the cab?" Emmy interrupted, crouching and adjusting the blanket over the infant in the car seat.

Eliza's attention jerked away from the bright screen and turned to a pair of flaming brown eyes.

"I'll do it now," Eliza panicked.

"Don't bother, we'll have better luck just hailing one on the street," Emmy grumbled back.

Like Emmy predicted, they were able to catch a taxi within the next few minutes. Once they fastened all parties in the backseat, Emmy was securing the cream receiving blanket over Eliza's squirming baby again. Therewasbarely a thing she could say to the child's mother who was busy trying to tend to emails that continued to flood in. Emmy's scowl was set, focusing on the passing cars and pedestrians; she was doing her best to not let her emotions get the best of her while Eliza was distanced.

Though, when she heard a long sigh, Emmy turned to her left to see Eliza rubbing her face with her hands. The phone was sitting in her lap, and once it vibrated again, Eliza stared at it with exhaustion.

"Is it urgent?" Emmy whispered.

Eliza weakly turned her head to Emmy– her eyes were baggy and tired. Slowly picking up her phone, she glanced at the message.

"Is it?" Emmy questioned again.

"No," Eliza admitted, placing it back in her lap.

The cab drove them deep in the city and to the tall medical center. Seeing the familiar structure again had Eliza so nervous that she put her phone on silent. Emmy tenderly rocked the baby seat back and forth on the ground as Eliza filled out the paperwork. Her head was almost buried into the clipboard as she avoided familiar faces that she didn't intend to see again. Eliza was too busy to notice the little smirk that was on Emmy's face, looking back and forth between the baby and her mother because a small pair of grey eyes were focused on the woman digging through her purse.

Eliza's hands were shaking, sitting in a room with familiar and vacant white walls. She never liked hospitals, and from the lack of planning, it appeared as though she was going to have to get used to it.

"You alright, Ms. Kelly?" Emmy asked, breaking the odd silence.

Still avoiding eye contact, the nervous mom nodded before looking over to the wriggling baby in the pastel-colored seat.

"I think she wants to get out," Emmy stated, already removing the fastened belts.

"How do you know?" Eliza innocently asked, but Emmy didn't answer– standing up and approaching her with the child.

Eliza took her tiny daughter and watched after Emmy who sat back down in her seat against the wall. Eliza wasn't the only one that was tired. The ongoing notifications cluttering her inbox were draining, but the same had to be said for 24-hour surveillance of a new person. Emmy rarely frowned whenever she was around her employer, but Eliza was quick to notice that face of the woman across the room was not as joyful as usual. There was something about Emmy's heavy eyes that gave Eliza a little discomfort, and she knew it had nothing to do with the early hour or the baby in her arms.

Tempted to open her mouth and ask Emmy what was the matter, Eliza's opportunity was thwarted when they heard a knock at the door.

"Good morning, ladies," Dr. Rhee smiled, as she entered the room.