She's Mine: Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Emmy took in a deep breath. They could hear the playful screams of children, loud laughs; and, when the door to the taxi was opened, the smell of barbecue grilling in the backyard. 

The trio had ventured an hour outside of the city limits into the suburbs. The cul-de-sac was hugged with cars, and many people mingled outside in the sun or through the sprinklers. Eliza was used to the change of scenery, whenever she used to frequent Pete and his small family before her pregnancy. It was nice to view the open sky again and be in a crowded place outside of the blueprinted trees and muted landscape. But Eliza was more excited for her little one to be venturing outside of the city again– thinking fondly about a home that could belong to them. 

"Ready?" Emmy sighed, taking a look at the two on the other side.

Through her binky, Lulu was beginning to throw a fit after being in her seat for too long. Emmy grinned at the mom's quick reaction to hush her baby and take her out of the seat. Lulu stopped whimpering as soon as she was freed, and rested her head on Eliza's shoulder the second she was brought close. Lulu's mother pet the soft cotton of her small floral dress, along her back further pacifying her baby.

Eliza turned to Emmy and sighed with a weak smile, "We're ready."

They exited the back of the cab, and their fee bags were removed from the trunk. The timing was golden because the moment the driver was handed his payment, their attention was demanded at the front of 451 Dennis Ave

"Aye! I'mma get the rest of the sauce out the back of the truck!" They heard a man bark as he carelessly thrusted through the front, screen door of a little two-story home. 

"Jerome! What did mama tell you about that door?!" Emmy immediately screeched.

As the trio neared the home, the short stomping woman was trailed by wide-eyed Eliza and an antsy Lulu on her hip. 

"Em! So you finally decided to show up?!" he scoffed, twisting his lips and cocking his head back with a displeased look. 

The confused guest wasn't sure who he was to Emmy, but what she could tell was that Emmy was not afraid of him. He was a foot taller than her and lanky too. But as the enemies intensified their glares, Eliza could instantly spot the relation.

Emmy didn't break the staredown with her opponent that had more hair on his chin then his head, "Eliza, this is my raggedy big brother Jerome."

Eliza showed a fragment of a smile, while Jerome was pleasantly pleased with the attractive guest.

Before he could open his mouth, Emmy snapped, "She's my employer, so don't even try it!"

With a smug look, he coyly reached out and insisted, "She still a guest, lemme help ya'll with–"

"Just go get the dang sauce!" Emmy swatted, though she unsurprisingly missed her agile sibling. "I hope you ain't gonna touch the grill this time around."

"Don't talk bad about my grillin', lil girl!" he snipped.

"I wouldn't have to if you knew how to light a fire," his defiant little sister finished.

Satisfied with Jerome's silent rage, Emmy rolled her eyes and grabbed the weekend bags. Emmy guided Eliza and Lulu to the front porch, and made it a point to check the door her brother didn't care about. Closing the screen while Jerome shouted his complaints in the background, Emmy immediately apologized to Eliza.

Emmy's guest shook her head with her lips warmly curled up. The introduction would be unforgettable. 

"Well... welcome to my mama's house, Eliza and Lulu. This was where I grew up," Emmy announced proudly raising her arms with a big smile.