She's Mine: Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Ms. Kelly, I have good and bad news for you," Mr. Daniels sighed, lounging in the seat across from her desk.

There was slight difference in their behavior in the workplace with Troy holding back the kiss on the cheek he would have given her upon greeting and the slightly cracked open door. If these so called people were talking and investigating they had to be careful.

"Well, Mr. Daniels... please start with the bad news," she instructed, intimidated with the knot in her throat.

He exhaled a great breath, "The bad news is that there is no real bad news."

"What do you mean, Troy?" she asked with disbelief.

He couldn't hide his smile while he scratched at his freshly shaven chin. Once Troy opened his mouth, Eliza didn't hear anything that should have made her pace around the room as she did for the next five minutes. But she was furious.

"I thought you'd be happier," Troy murmured.

She slammed her hands down on her desk, vehemently whispering, "How can I?! This happened right here! Right underneath our noses!"

"I suppose I can't fault you. I was mad about it at first too. But c'mon Liza–" he cut himself short, realizing he had forgotten his conduct. "Eliza... just look at the bright side of this now."

She huffed in a stance, hands gripped into her sides.

"C'mon darlin'," he whispered, before letting his voice rise once more. "Really, really think about how amazing this is."

"But he can still be granted custo–"

Troy threw his head back and laughed, "Ms. Kelly, I told ya. I didn't have any bad news. The second I put the pieces together, I put the plan into action."

Trusting in Troy had proven nothing but good thus far, and because of his faithfulness Eliza figured out how to smile about it.

The Monday financial update was excruciatingly long and intense for Eliza. Not a damn thing that was being presented mattered to her. The tables had turned once Andrew's confidence vanished at the sight of her enveloped by an invisible inferno.

Troy left Eliza alone, allowing her to her to leave the conference room and simmer in her office in peace.

"Geez, Eliza looks really pissed. I wonder what's going on with her," Andrew commented aloud, feigning no surprise while picking up his folders without rush and strolling into the hall.

Disgusted, Troy's narrowed eyes quickly shifted away from the open door and to the scarlet-faced owner across the room. Blackwell's eyes fluttered away from Troy and around the table in front of her. More indignant that usual, Blackwell was stampeding into her own office and yanking up her phone to her ear.

"Kelly, my office now!"

Eliza's eyes rolled to a close before she knocked on the tyrant's door. Before she could knock, the knob turned and, in a quick yank of the panel, the brittle woman appeared.

The door closed behind Eliza, and she stared at the fervid steps of her boss.

"I have a question about this inappropriate behavior that is still under investigation," Blackwell confessed with a shortage of breath, pacing near her lavish office chair.

"I refuse to answer any questions or discuss the matter," Eliza spat.

Blackwell lifted her cold blues to the unrepentant CIO of Bluestar Technologies.