She's Mine: Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Troy leaned against the counter as he watched Eliza welcome a needed embrace from Emmy. He shared her heartbreak, but he knew that he couldn't fully understand her turmoil. Taking Eliza home and promising to stay a little while was the most he could do. Anything she wanted, he was ready to give what he could.

Then, Troy's heart forced him to question how Andrew wasn't capable of loving her. Troy wondered why the father of her child couldn't have tried to give feelings outside of his own a chance. Troy and Eliza were together, yet he didn't feel his luckiest when she was so torn about another man who wanted to make her life miserable.

"Thank you for bringing her home," Emmy sighed while petting Troy's sleeve.

He snapped from his daze and looked down to spot the forlorn look on Emmy's face.

"It's the least I can do," Troy returned with insecurity.

Emmy narrowed her eyes to take a good look at him. However, her watchful eyes made him nervous and caused him to stare at the ground.

Away in the nursery, Eliza's fingers glided over Lulu's soft face. Her little girl was halfway through a nap but her little eyes partial opened at her mother's touch.

"Hi," Eliza greeted with a sad smile.

Lulu's little side smile only lasted for a few seconds before she immediately faded back into tender slumber.

"I love you."

The sad mom held her lips together after muttering her last words. Quietly, she stole a nearby baby wipe and cleaned her tear-covered face. Turning for the door, she realized she had been caught in another vulnerable moment with Emmy and Troy watching her in the open way.

Emmy then announced that she was going to make a phonecall out in the hall and promptly left The couple to themselves.

An embarrassed woman swallowed another painful lump and dragged her feet toward Troy. Without thinking twice, she wrapped her arms around him and let out a bevy of tears she held in since opening the envelope.

Troy pressed her into him, holding an Eliza Kelly who had willfully surrendered and stepped outside of her fortress. However, it didn't take much longer for her catch herself and silence her tears.

"I wish I didn't have to go back there," she admitted.

Troy nodded, "I wish you didn't either."

"But I have to go back and see their faces," Eliza stated with more conviction.

Troy stepped back and looked at her hardened face. Her scowl was set as she stared off into the distance.

"What are you thinking?" Troy asked with a smirk.

"I refuse to have that asshole try to take her from me," she answered, narrowing her eyes.

Troy took another step back and put his hands on his hips, asking, "Why?"

Eliza looked to his with confusion. Troy had that glint in his eye as he awaited her answer to a question that was obvious.

"Because he has no right to..." Eliza stopped herself, realizing that wasn't the best argument from the genetic standpoint.

Troy urged her, "No, no Liza. Keep going."

"I'm not sure I know what to say," she sighed with anger and defeat.

"Darlin', those honey eyes don't lie about you being so sweet and kind and that's why I always want ya. But at the same time it's those things I love aboutchya that have made Andrew think he can treat you this way."