She's Mine: Chapter 12

Chapter 12

That next morning, Eliza was watching Emmy nervously scramble around the large apartment to make sure everything was in order. Several sticky notes were plastered throughout the apartment, and Eliza found amusement in the the fright. 

Emmy was given the entire weekend off, and though she needed it, Emmy was still overcome with worry.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Emmy asked for the fourteenth time. 

Eliza nodded at the woman who was clutching her suitcase with an extreme grip. As they walked out to the lobby, Emmy was continuously counting her fingers on one hand, murmuring to herself. 

The new mom was terrified at being alone for the first time with her child, but the moment was inevitable. A tearful Emmy waved goodbye to Eliza before she looked down to the small baby cradled in the swing across Eliza's chest. 

Stepping back inside of the apartment almost felt strange. Knowing that Emmy wasn't going to be shuffling around the apartment made the silence unbearable. Yet once she stepped inside, it didn't take long for Eliza to scrunch her nose and look down to the child against her chest.

"Already putting me to work," Eliza uncomfortably whispered, while hurrying to the nursery. 

Slowly removing the soiled diaper, she struggled to strategize the safest way to dispose and clean while preventing the furniture from permanent damage. After a minute, there was a look of satisfaction on Eliza's face as she took the last baby wipe to the small bum. 

However, the baby was showing a toothless grin at Eliza's immediate change in expression.

"You're not done?" Eliza gasped in horror, while observing the strain in her baby's face.

Considering she wasn't sure of how often she was going to have to cycle through dirty diapers, Eliza didn't bother to put the fleece onesie back on her. But then that wasn't the only reason why. 

Holding up the small child, she held her close to the shoulder. Eliza stared blankly at the wall in front her while cautiously stroking the little back– taking in the warmth of the soft, delicate skin. 

Turning to the mirror hung on the wall, the new mother took a moment to observe the person humming and drooling over her shoulder. Eliza had assumed the worst when Emmy was packing to go away for the weekend. She figured she would be dealing with complete mayhem, but there was more calm than she had anticipated. 

After walking out of the baby-scented room, Eliza felt her stomach calling to her. She had to make some food for herself since going back to bed wasn't an option with an active one-month old. Eliza pushed the bassinet into view of the kitchen and put her little girl into it's soft cushioning. Just as she began to walk around into the kitchen, that tranquility she was admiring immediately vanished.

"What is it?" Eliza mildly panicked, as the child continued to wail. 

She didn't know what else to do but pick her back up and check to see if she was needing another change or if she was hungry. Yet the moment she was back in her mother's comfort, the small baby settled down. Eliza stood in awe and confusion, wondering why she was suddenly quiet.   

The mom had to settle for a bowl of cereal, instead of using the hot stove with a small child latched to her. Again, her daughter was aggravated by another attempt to put her into the swinging bassinet. Eliza pouted and didn't know what to do, but a solution came to her quick. She silently mocked herself as she recalled an image from a baby magazine that she viewed many months ago in the hospital's waiting area. Placing her legs along the couch, Eliza slightly lifted up her knees and cradled the baby in her elevated lap.