She's Mine: Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Eliza held a small simper on her face through both of her early morning meetings. Her favorite pen was running out of ink since she made a habit of scribbling her daughter's name throughout the white-spaces of her notepad.

Outside the conference room, Vanessa was bewildered by the distant, but warm look on her boss's face when she was ready to take and type up Eliza's notes. Eliza Kelly was still quick on her feet, but it wasn't hard to miss the slight pep in her step as the glowing woman disappeared down the hall.

The moment she was in her office again, she took in a deep breath.

"Lulu," Eliza whispered to herself, biting her lower lip as she enjoyed saying her daughter's name for the hundredth time. 

It was another tendency for the new mom, but she wasn't sure if it was completely out of joy. She wondered if this new tick was her way of making sure everything was actually happening– that she was really awake. 

It had to be real. There was no other way to explain the strange tingling sensations that spread around her cheeks when she thought about it.

The smile on Emmy's face, before Eliza left for the day, was cycling through the new mother's head. Emmy hadn't said a word to Eliza about her daughter's name since Eliza said it. Since then, the short woman had been quiet around Lulu and her mother– only smiling and tenderly patting Eliza's shoulder or arm before moving away. 

Luckily, the silence was broken when Emmy found Eliza lingering in the nursery in the morning. It was around 4AM and the caretaker was awakened by the sound of rustlings in the baby's room. Carefully sitting up from the leather pullout couch, Emmy snuck to the doorway and saw Eliza looking into the cradle. 

"You can't sleep," Emmy whispered, startling Eliza.

Eliza caught her breath, before pressing her lips in a thin line and shaking her head in answer.

"I don't know. I'm... I'm too..." Eliza was at a sudden loss of the right word. 

But Emmy finished for her, "Excited?" 

Nodding in agreement, the mom was looking down at Lulu who was still sleeping peacefully. It was official now. She was keeping her, and there couldn't be another thought of letting her go– a thought would begin to hurt her chest.

"Lulu," Eliza smirked again, before promptly attacking the 'delete' key.

She had to focus on her tasks somehow. If she didn't, she was going to find herself backspacing and erasing her daughter's name from more emails and notes.

Minutes later, Eliza was pulled from another moment with her phone's image gallery, at the sound of someone lightly wrapped their knuckles on her door. 

"Daniels?" she curiously called.

"Yes ma'am," she heard on the other side.

He opened the door and poked his head inside. Eliza didn't hesitate to smile at him, and by default, Troy's eyes lit up. 

"How are you doing this mornin'?" he lowly asked, taking a step inside. 

"Come in, come in," Eliza whispered with excitement.

Troy didn't waste another second and shut her door behind him. Eliza's fingers were blazing to finish another email while he took his seat across from her desk. Troy slouched and folded his hands over his stomach, holding a warm look as he absorbed Eliza's good energy.