Chapter 4: Why am I such a Freak?

You were at your normal job as a cashier, when a group of people around your age came in. They noticed you, and started whispering to each other. The whole time they were there glancing over at you and giggling. By the time they finished grabbing the things they came for and walked to your register, they started "Wrist check!!" "Do you get jealous when your phone dies?" "Bark bark!" You didn't really care, this stuff happened all the time, you were used to it. However, one of the girls took out her phone and started recording you, laughing. You froze. This hasn't happened before. What do you do? Should you say anything? If you just ignore them will they stop and just leave?
"Hey! Take your items and leave! Thank you, and have a nice day!" The voice was from one of the other coworkers that was also on shift who just got back from their break. They glared at them as they shuffled out of the doors.
They look over at you and asked, "Are you alright? It's not ok for others to record someone without their permission."
You were too stunned to respond, so just nodded instead.
"You can go take your break now, I'm done with mine." They say with a soft smile. You return the smile and speed walk out.

You were about to go home, when a voice spoke up from your watch. "Hey (N/n), the big boss man needs you at HQ." "K." Was all you were able to answer her with. Usually you were able to be really upbeat with LYLA, but you just couldn't muster up any kind of energy to reply with anything else.
You opened a portal to HQ and managed to walk all the way to Miguel. After all that walking, you somehow felt better.
Only physically.
Mentally, you were drowning in all the thoughts.

You mentally rolled your eyes at the slow platform, and stepped on to it as soon as it stopped.
"I need you to go to-"
Miguel paused and looked at you.
"Never mind, go to the cafeteria."
"...What? Why?"
"Because, I can tell you aren't feeling well. Going on a mission with how you are right now is going to make you screw it all up. So go. Take a break."
"...Thanks."
Miguel gave you a small nod before turning around and doing something on the computer.

You made your way down to the cafeteria. You put your headphones on, hoping that it would help. You were used to HQ being really loud, and especially used to all of the different spider people there. Yet, you felt lonely. Not alone. Lonely.

"And she's so kind and so perfect and-"
"We get it Pav, Gayatri is amazing."
'That voice sounds familiar.'
You looked around the cafeteria and spotted them. Hobie, Miles, Gwen, and some guy with a colorful spider suit on we're sitting a couple tables away from you. You wanted to go over to them and talk, but you just couldn't.
Thankfully, Miles spotted you.
"Hey (M/n)!! Come over here!" He shouted over to you.
A few other spider people looked over at you and the others sitting at the table, but you managed to ignore their eyes and made your way over to their table.
You and Miles exchange a fist bump, while you look over at Hobie and nod.
"Oh! I don't think you too have met yet, this is Pavitr." Gwen says, nodding over towards Pav.
"Hey Pavitr, I'm (M/n)."
"Hey! So this was the person you guys were talking about! He really does seem cool-" Pav trailed off when he noticed the others signaling him to stop.
You chuckled to yourself as you take a seat next to Hobie.
Pav starts another rant about Gayatri, with Miles and Gwen trying to look like they haven't heard all of this a thousand times before, and you started to zone out. Hobie took note of this and gently hit your arm to gain your attention.
"Oi, you aight bruv?" He asks.
"Huh?...Oh, yeah I'm good." You lied.
Hobie raises an eyebrow, still looking at you.
"Fine, long story short, some girl recorded me at work for being alternative." You sigh. Should you have told him that? What if he judges you for being weak? What if he laughs at you? What if-

"What ya thinkin 'bout?"
You hesitate, looking over at the other three who were busy talking about Gayatri, before it all spilled out.
".....Why am I such a freak?"
Hobie doesn't say anything for a second, thinking of what he should say. He understood what you're going through way too much. He's gotten used to it and learned how to not care what others thing or do about his punk style.

"Listen, Mate. You aren't the freak, those twats are. What kind of bastards would record someone for not lookin what they think is 'normal'. Jus keep in mind that ya stylish and have nice hair. Those blokes don know crap."
You smiled at Hobie, who returns the smile.
"Aight, I gotta get goin." He says, getting up. He waved a goodbye to Miles and Gwen, as Pav was still ranting on about someone, and ruffled your hair. He walked off into the crowd of other spider people. You stiffened. You could feel a weird feeling in your stomach. And your whole body. It was tingly. It felt..Nice.

Gwen noticed what Hobie did, she'll for sure be talking to him about that later.