Ch.3- In a Blue Eyed Trance

It didn't take long for Ebony to rush to my side in sheer panic. She apologized over and over again, saying she never meant for that to happen. I barely heard her through the steady beating of my heart still ringing in my ears. We quickly made our way back to the crowd that was gathering in the center of the field.

Up on a platform, stands Joanna and my father by her side. Next to him stands the blue eyed devil that I had encountered only moments ago along with his fellow Dauntless. All of them are lined up across the stage. It seems wrong. The stage had only recently been built for this exact reason. Why did we even need to be brought together to be told what we already should know. Dauntless and Amity would stay away from one another at all costs. We were to be friendly but not to make friends.

As if that was even possible...

My father, a former Candor man, was chosen to be an Amity representative not long after he transferred. He never wanted the full responsibility of keeping the peace but he was always happy to help. I guess they chose him because they thought he would be kind yet honest. He was always honest. It's been said to me many times that he could never tell a lie. To this very day, I've never known him not to utter the truth.

As I watch him now, standing on the platform, I see that he's formed a nervous tick. He taps his foot against the newly cut wood, trying to distract himself from what's really bothering him. He's not fond of the idea of Dauntless being here and it's killing him not to be able to say something.

I also realize now, that my father is not as big a man as I thought he was. As he stands next to Eric, I see that he's about three inches shorter than him and has barely any type of muscle. It's astonishing and makes me sad. He has been our family's protection and now he seems measly in size.

"Today, we are all brought here to witness and participate in something that has never been done before. Over the next few months, Dauntless and Amity will become one. It will go down in the history books..."

Joanna continues to speak but I soon tune out, my eyes drifting back to Eric. He stands with his hands behind his back, chin upward, eyes locked ahead. A common leader stance, no doubt. His jaw is rigid with annoyance.

"Dauntless and Amity will become one? She must be joking right now." Ebony is making an attempt to whisper in my ear but is failing miserably. A few people turn around to look at us, clearly hearing what she said. My cheeks burn bright red with embarrassment.

"Stop talking. You're making a scene." I warn her. She gives me a stunned glare but doesn't speak again. I look back up to the stage, again bringing my gaze to the one person I shouldn't.

Eric's eyes are now scanning the crowd, slowly judging us all, even the Dauntless. I cringe when his eyes come across me. He stops his observation and stares at me. I don't break eye contact, somehow too afraid of looking away.

His eyebrows raise as to acknowledge my appearance. I'm suddenly cold with fear.

*******************************************************

"Where did you run off to today, darling? When we arrived at the welcoming speech." Mom sits next to me at the dinner table, eating a small helping of green beans. Kayla and dad are in mid conversation, something to do with a new hybrid of vegetable.

I sit, poking at my food, unable to eat. "Ebony and I just went to get a better view." My white lie for the day. She nods her, accepting what I've told her.

I bite the inside of my cheek, nervously, thinking of what Ebony and I have planned to do tonight.

"I'm really not hungry. I think I'm going to go for a walk." I stand quickly from the table before anyone is able to protest. Rushing to the front door, I slip on a pair of rain boots and head outside. The air is misty, the aftermath of a short rain from previous hours.