Ch. 19- Inappropriate Timing

Our escape is quick and seamlessly undetected. Eric gave me a black hoodie of his to wear as we made our way to the large trucks that brought all of the Dauntless initiates here.

Neither one of us says a word to one another. The ride is silent but my head is buzzing with activity. I haven't  been out of Amity in a very long time and never had I ridden in such a large vehicle before.

The world seems different from out behind the trees. The sky is a darker kind of blue and the moon shines brighter than ever. I see it all with new eyes. Eyes of a rebel Amity who has escaped with a notorious Dauntless leader.

*****

Dauntless is a world I've never known but only dreamed of. What I dreamed and what I see before now are two completely different things.

Cave walls tower around us and there is an intimidating sound of rushing water coming from an unknown location. People with multiple tattoos and piercings walk amongst us, leaving me to feel naked under the black jacket.

I am unmarked by the black ink.

My mind runs to the depths of the most intimate feelings I've had and I'm left thinking about Eric and the bold black blocks the run down each side of his neck. I like them too much for my own good. And I shouldn't. To me, they represent something dangerous. Something that is calculatingly vicious.

But yet, I am drawn to them like a moth to a flame.

I would rather burn myself than be left to feel numb by doing nothing at all.

Eric leads me through several tunnels and up a few flight of stairs before we arrive in front of large black door. He pulls a set of keys out of his back pocket and unlocks the door to our mystery destination.

It's only a mystery to me, I realize. Eric knows where he is. I'm only along for the ride.

Eric places his hand on the small of my back and leads me in. The scent of pine hits my nostrils and my eyes are welcomed to a customary apartment. It's much bigger, though  than the cabin that he has been staying in at Amity. He must have been feeling a bit claustrophobic these past couple of weeks.

"The bedroom is through those doors in the back." The sound of his voice startles me but I follow the direction of his pointed finger and see a pair of french doors located at the back of the apartment.

I nod my head in understanding but say nothing.

"Go." He urges me while pushing my body away from his.

I do as I'm told and make my way to the wooden lined doors with glass framing.

The room is huge, bigger than anything that I've ever seen before. A king size bed rests against the wall on the far left side. I step towards it with curiosity, letting my fingers linger on the black comforter that covers it.

How many girls have been dragged into this bed before?

It would only be appropriate that my subconsciousness speaks to me now when  there is no where else for me to go. I stare at it with wide eyes trying to soak it all in. Trying to push away heavy unwanted thoughts but it's of no use. I'm stuck with the traumatizing images of all the girls before me.

Heavy footsteps enter the bedroom and warm body heat caresses my back instantaneously.

Eric wraps an arm around the front of my body and turns me to face him. A look of concern darts across his eyes.

"What's wrong?"

The tears I didn't even know I was crying roll down my face at a rapid speed. I run my hands down my face and quickly try to wipe them away while shaking my head.