Ch. 18- Back and Forth

Come with him?

I couldn't have possibly heard him correctly. He wants me to come to Dauntless? Now?

I stare blankly into dark blue eyes, searching for some kind of answer to his blatant request. Eric stares back at me with a seriousness that would send most running for the hills. I'm beginning to think this isn't a request but a command...

I sigh, heavily. "Eric, it's not that simple."

His eyes narrow, jaw clenching. A knot forms in my belly and I'm suddenly afraid.

"How is it not that simple? All you have to do is say yes."

Command.

"Do I even have a choice?" My voice is challenging as it raises another octave. I lift up, slightly to be able to get a better look at him.

Eric's fingers dig into the skin on my back, leaving marks behind, I'm sure.

"Why the hell would you want to stay here? I'm giving you a way out."

Eric's authoritative tone reverberates off the walls.

I wiggle away from him, surprised that he actually lets me go.

"You know I can't just get up and leave. I'm not Dauntless. I'll never be accepted."

He rolls his eyes and throws his feet off the side of the bed, standing. Tension resides in the muscles on his back, making them stand out more than usual. Eric is rigid with fury, lined with venom.

"Than leave. I don't have time to wait around while you try to make up your mind who the fuck you think you are."

He's now yelling.

His words cut deep, leaving me breathless. The sudden anger he's putting off frightens me. I didn't mean to upset him. How did it come to this? One second, we're kissing, the next he's telling me to leave.

How did I mess this up?

I shake my head, furiously, reaching for the edge of the bed.

"No, no. I'm not saying I don't want to come with you-"

"Leave."

One word, directed towards me in a final tone, with evil daggers pointed in my direction.

The knot grows in the pit of my stomach and tears push themselves into view. I look at Eric with a lost expression. He just glares back, waiting for me to make a move.

"Eric, please."

"Please what, Lianna? Make up your goddamn mind."

He crosses his arms over his broad chest, his muscles standing solute.

I take a chance and slowly stand up off the bed, bringing my body close to his. He doesn't move when I approach him and I'm glad for it. I'm defying him by not obeying, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to take a swing at me.

I bite my lip and look at his scowling face with blurry eyes. There is no remorse when he watches a few tears fall, he only rolls his eyes sending a pang of hurt through my insides.

Cautiously, I pull on his forearm, indicating for him to drop his arms. Eric is reluctant to my touch but soon lets his arms fall limp.

Eric's POV

Lianna runs her delicate fingers up along the curve of my biceps and it takes everything in me not to wrap my arms around her and pull her back into bed.