Ch. 20- Man in a box

A few days later...

The first morning at Dauntless was a quiet one. Eric left early, leaving me to fend for myself. I didn't leave his apartment, in fear that he would be upset with me if I did. Apart of me wanted so badly to get out, though. I wanted to explore this unknown territory and see what it's like to live outside of a kindness bubble.

Unfortunately, I wasn't granted that access and I waited for Eric to return. It was strange, really. He seemed on edge and with me. His movements were hesitant and restricted like he was trying hard to hold something back. He would reach out and touch me too often for my liking but in those moments I think he may have found some kind of peace to his anxiety.

Anxiety that I had no idea where it was coming from.

The bed situation became a bit of a hassle but it's not as if I was making things easy. I continued to sleep on the couch until finally Eric came back with brand new sheets and a comforter.

I was shocked that he made that sort of effort but he seemed adamant on having me sleep in the bed with him. The night that the new sheets were put down, he practically dragged me into the bed. Eric's aggressiveness frightened me slightly because I wasn't expecting it. Soon, though, he calmed himself and settled on kissing down the line of my face and holding my body close to his.

The anger that I had once seen in him had somehow disappeared and this only terrified me.

He wears a mask of kindness now, my subconscious told me, but soon the animal within the man will return...

"Lianna." Eric's strong voice calls out to me as his enters the apartment.

I gaze up at him from the couch and see a severe scowl placed over his brutally handsome features.

"Yes?" I gulp.

He walks towards me and my body immediately tenses. I bring my knees up to my chest, trying hopelessly to protect myself in some small way. Eric stands at the edge, leaning down placing his hands on the armrest.

His eyes bore into mine with such intensity that I believe I may have done something wrong.

"I'm going to take you out."

I go wide-eyed at his words, processing what he's just said.

Take me out?

In Dauntless? 

"What will we do?" I question, hoping to hear of something exciting.

Eric shakes his head, sighing.

"I can't let you meet anyone, too dangerous. But I can take you to come work out with me."

My heart flutters at the thought of watching Eric workout.

I do my best to hide my sudden excitement and only smile up at him, standing.

"I'm ready to go when you are."

*****

Eric's  POV

Lianna watches me closely as I set myself up for bench press. Her green eyes linger over my torso a minute too long and I catch her staring.

She's quite adorable. Wearing only a thin tan dress she looks out of place in Dauntless but so perfect in here, with me. Just having her in my sights is a relief but the pressure I'm feeling is something I wasn't expecting.

It was one thing to have women in my life and  easily let them go because none of it meant anything but this is so much different. Lianna  is  something else. Something  I find myself craving.