Ch. 29- A Liar's truth

Before you read this chapter, I highly recommend that you go back and read the beginning of Chapter 4. It will give you some insight for the end of this chapter. Happy reading, my loves!

Lianna's POV

I wasn't allowed to stay with Eric for too much longer after I had arrived. Joanna quickly ushered me out of the small room and told me to wait outside. I did as she said, reliving every moment I had just had with Eric over and over again in my head.

The hallway seems to get darker the longer I stand and wait. Joanna finally exits, walking towards me with her head hung low. Her face is graven with emotion.

What could be wrong?

She puts her hand to my back just like she had done when we entered. Whatever she is about to say brings a tension to the air. I brace myself for what will happen next.

"What did he tell you, Lianna?" Her tone is serious but yet lined with curiosity.

Do I tell her about Eric? Is that something I could do?

Starting with a factual statement seems best when testing out the waters.

"He said that he had been shot twice but, that it was an accident."

Joanna mules over my response for a moment, calculating her own response.

"Do you believe him?"

I stop walking all together. She knows something, otherwise she wouldn't be asking me these things. I turn and face her, keeping my tone at a reasonable level.

"Of course, I believe him."

She looks even more upset now. Not angry but sad. She runs hand down the length of her scar before turning her gaze to me, fully.

"That's what I was afraid of."

I stare at her in disbelief, not fully understanding the situation. Joanna continues down the hallway with me distantly behind. There is a feeling in me that I should say something but I keep quiet. Too much has been said already or not enough. I don't know which.

The crowd that was in the Pavilion has now significantly diminished. Only a few people stand around, whispering among themselves. Joanna walks in the other direction of them and leads me outside where we are greeted with a cool breeze.

Her back  is turned to me when she starts speaking again.

"Amity has always been proud of never having a chosen leader but a representative."

Slowly, she begins to face me, her eyes lifted to mine with pain.

"It is not in me to force you to do anything that would bring you unhappiness," A long pause goes by and she gently places a soft hand to the side of my cheek.

"But I must warn you, others may not take too kindly to the fact that you have had an association with a Dauntless leader."

She does know...

How could I have been so naive?

I force myself not to step away from her voluntary touch. I don't want to seem defensive in any way.

"I didn't think anyone knew."

She sighs, dropping her gaze to the ground.

"For your sake, I hope no one does."

*******************************************************************

The rest of the conversation with Joanna seemed minuscule to what we had talked about previously. It still seemed to me that she knew something else that she was not telling me but I would find out sooner or later if it mattered at all.