Ch. 7- This is not over

Angel eyes? 

Eric watches me with a close intensity that soon makes me uncomfortable. I try to dismiss the fact that he has given me a nickname.

It all seems too soon. I only met him yesterday morning and now I feel as if I've known him for years. Maybe not as friends but known of him and he has somehow known of me.

Does he know something about me? 

I look into his dark blue eyes and see patience as he waits for me to answer him. I take a step back, needing room.

"I want to know about Dauntless." I say, simply.

While it may not be the truth, it isn't exactly a lie. Learning about Dauntless would mean learning about Eric in some small sense. Although, I'm beginning to think that he hides himself very well from others, making it hard for anyone to truly know him.

He bites down on his lower lip, narrowing his eyes in the process.

"What do you want to know?"

Eric sees through my ploy. He knows I'm really asking about him.

Nervously, I tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

"I want to know why you have to hurt members of your own faction to pass initiation."

This brings a new light to his eyes, like he has never been asked such a thing before.

With a short step, he's standing close to me again, looking down at me with curiosity. 

"They all have to learn  to action, even if that action is violent or horrific. Not everything can be settled with a hug." His tone is mocking.

If he only knew that I agreed. Not all things can be settled by a pat on the back or a simple agree to disagree settlement.

Action does have to be taken. 

"And what if they don't fight back?" I already know what his answer will be but I have to ask. Maybe a part of me hopes his answer will be different and all the horrible things I've heard about Dauntless over the years can be a lie.

If only it all was a lie...

"Then they don't make it. Factionless." His warm breath hits my face and I smell the light scent of mint.

"I don't know why I came here." I confess.

I really don't. But a small part of me wants to say it's because I wanted to defy my parents. Never have I tried to purposely break the rules or do something spontaneous. 

I've always been their good little girl.

Frankly, I'm sick of it.

"It's normal to want something you can't have." Eric's voice in precise and it answers my thoughts exactly.

He surprises me by taking a step back and turns to walk away. I watch his slow steps move in the opposite direction and find myself starting to follow him.

"Where are you going?" I sound like a lost child calling after their parent.

Eric doesn't turn back to me but keeps walking.

"You need to leave, Lianna."

Last night it was, I can't leave now it's I need to leave?

"You can't tell me to do that."

Oh, but he can...

He stops in his tracks, turning back to face me. I'm practically on top of him, having followed like a lost puppy.

When he turns fully, I see that his jaw is set with a fierce line of tension, there's a storm brewing in his blue eyes that makes me shiver just looking into them.

"I won't tell you again."

A sensible and more logical person would have left. Hell, they wouldn't have come in the first place but me, no I just can't help myself. I stand still, staring at  him like maybe he will change his mind.

"Last night you wanted me to stay." I retort.

His fists ball together and I know I've made yet another mistake.

"Leave." He grits his teeth together, menacingly.

I hold my ground not once taking my eyes off his even when he gets closer to me.

There's a sickening thought that crosses my mind, one that I desperately don't want to be true.

I want him to hit me again. I want him to do it. Just so that this time, I could fight back. So he can know, that I'm not just some Amity girl, thinking that everything can be solved with a hug. No. I'm not stupid nor am I coward. 

I'm exactly what I've always wanted to be. 

What I should be.

A Dauntless trapped in an Amity world only because my conscience told me not to dishonor my parents wishes.

I watch as Eric realizes the challenge I'm going to give him and see amusement cross over his features.

"Who is this, Eric?" A sweet voice lures us both out of our current stare down.

At the same time, we both look to the left, I see one of the blonde girls from the pack of leaders from yesterday.

It doesn't surprise me that she's wearing minimal clothing as it is night time and very humid out.

Eric stands up straighter, suddenly creating a distance between us. He walks towards her, leaving me.

"Amity here, got lost, baby. She was just leaving." He wraps a thick arm around her waist and pulls her flush against him, all the while staring at me with same intensity.

I glare at them both, disgusted. 

"Does she need some help home?" The girl looks at me, her eyes scanning me from head to toe. I do the same to her. She mocks me and I roll my eyes. 

This isn't over...

I turn and start walking back the way I came, hearing a faint laughter leave the girls lips. Eric says nothing more but I can feel his eyes on me.

Him now watching me leave.

Intrigued in me just as much as I am in him.

Lianna is an undercover badass. I should just go ahead and put that out there.