Dieciséis

I regretted it. 

I regretted what happened to us that night. 

Hindi 'yun kasama sa kung anong napagkasunduan namin. 

My period has been delayed for a month now, and I've been experiencing unusual feelings of tiredness, drowsiness, and sometimes even dizziness. 

I told Maxine, one of my close friends about it. She's a doctor, so, she should know what to do. 

"Oh god! Irene... Since when?"

I bit my lip as I stared at the two boxes of pregnancy tests in front of me. Bumili na ako kahapon bago umuwi. 

"One month na akong delayed... And I've been feeling those unusual for almost two weeks now..." I answered, napalunok ako dahil alam ko naman kung anong susunod pang mangyayari. 

But I just have to make sure. 

No matter what...

"Take some tests... Once you get it, whether it's negative or positive, tell me right away so that I can refer you to Chelsea agad ha..." bilin sa akin ni Max, I took a deep breath as we ended the call. 

My hands were trembling as I waited for the results. I took five of them. I know, and I'm panicking...

And that day, I knew...

I'm pregnant. 

I went out of the bathroom and kept all the unused and used test kits in a safe place. Dahil ayaw ko na muna na may makaalam... Hindi ko alam, siguro dahil gulong-gulo ako...

I immediately changed my clothes, but not for office. Nang makita ako ni Greggy na palabas ng kuwarto ko ay bakas sa mukha niya ang pagtataka. 

"You're... going somewhere?" he asked, he knew that what I was wearing was not intended for office. I took a gulp and held a tight grip on my handbag.

"No, I have to meet Chelsea, she has a personal emergency, I have to be there for her" pagpapalusot ko. His eyes widened, "Oh, you want me to come with you, then? I might be of help!" he offered immediately, but I shook my head and declined his offer.

"No, it's fine. You have a meeting with the Torres Group, you can't miss that." I answered, "Oh, yeah... Just text me if you need anything, okay? Who will drive you?" 

"I can drive. Magpahatid ka nalang kay manong Fred, I have to go, Greg" pagpapaalam ko at agad bumaba ng hagdan. 

While driving all I can think of is how can I handle this? How am I going to be a mom when I know that I'm not yet ready?

When I arrived at the hospital, Chelsea and Maxine immediately accommodated me. 

"Irene, where's Greggy?" Chelsea asked, I looked at Max and she tapped our friend's shoulder and shook her head. Chelsea knew it in an instant and just shrugged it off and asked me to take the tests. 

And it all came back the same, positive. 

"Congratulations, Rene!!! I can't wait to see you in your baby bump!!"

"I have new inaanak!!!" 

They both squealed and giggled in excitement as they both stare at the test results. I was just there, sitting in front of them with my hands clasped together. Trying to figure out what shall I do next...

"Hey..." Chelsea muttered when she noticed how preoccupied I am. She went beside me and held my hand, with her worried eyes;

"are you okay?" she worriedly asked. I shook my head as I looked down. I felt Max sat on my right side and caressed my back.