Diecisiete

One week later, they decided to visit their child's grave at the Heritage. Madalas na ang bumibisita rito ay si Irene. She never failed to send or bring her child some flowers every week for a year now. 

Kung minsan ay naabutan ni Greggy ang mga bulaklak sa puntod ng anak. But they never get to visit their child together since the burial. 

Greggy knelt to light the candle while Irene placed some flowers on top of the grave. 

"How are you up there, baby?" she smiled bitterly, wiping the tombstone. 

George Maria Constantine M. Araneta

January 2021 

Held in our hearts in every second of our lives.

Without having an idea of what could've been the gender of their baby, it was Greggy who named their miscarried child. He decided to use neutral names in naming their child.

"You're gonna have a baby sibling soon" she added and wiped her tears. "You could've been a year old with us now... Mommy's sorry that I failed to protect and keep you... My heart will always ache to hold you in my arms..." she muttered. Greggy bit his lower lip as he took a deep breath, and hugged his wife. 

"But thank you for coming to us even in a very short span... Your father and I learned a love that we never knew before you came... and left..." she added as she bawled. 

"Happy first birthday, baby... Your mom and I love you beyond skies..." Greggy smiled and kissed his fingers and patted them on their child's tombstone. 

They just told stories as if their child... Or should be, children could hear and understand their parents already. 

Irene is busy preparing the sandwiches that they brought while Greggy is just staring at the tombstone. 

"Daddy's sorry that this is just the first time that he's with mommy... It took dada a while before he learned to forgive... But I promise that from now on, we will always be together to visit you... And soon, with your baby sibling... Always look after them, okay? Dada needs your help in taking care of them..." he thought and smiled. He was just taken aback when his wife called him to grab some snacks. 

They stayed there for almost one and a half hours, just talking about life, their postponed plans, and their future plans for their tiny family. 

The couple arranged a dinner that same day, to formally announce to both families that they're expecting.

Everyone is as joyful as the couple. But little did they know that dinner was more sentimental for Greggy and Irene. 

That dinner is also intended for the supposed first birthday of their baby who gained wings just a year ago...

Nakaupo lang si Irene sa gilid habang ang lahat ay abala sa kanya-kanyang usapan, with a smile on her lips, watching everyone she loves gathered together to celebrate another chapter of their lives. 

Tinabihan siya ng kapatid na si Imee na may hawak na wine sa kamay, "you like?" pag-aalok niya na may halong pang-aasar. Tinignan siya ni Irene at bahagyang natawa, umiling na lamang ito bilang sagot. 

"I'm happy for you..." Imee muttered, leaning her shoulder to her sister. Sumandal naman si Irene sa balikat ng ate niya, "thank you for always being there, ate... I don't know what would I do without you..." she mumbled. Napangiti naman ang kapatid niya sa narinig. 

"I will always be there for you, kailangan mo man ako o hindi, ikaw pa ba!" sagot naman niya at uminom sa wine na hawak niya. "I will always need you, ate. Lalo na ngayon..." Irene responded at inangat ang ulo niya para tignan ang kapatid;