Chapter 7 - Questions

I decide to start with small questions first and work my way up to the more important ones. "Why is your flower crown made of yellow roses?" I ask. "I mean, is it just your favorite flower?"

"No, actually my favorite flowers are pink roses," Lizzie answers, "but they blend in with my hair. And yellow roses symbolize friendship. I know everyone calls me a queen and looks to me as a leader, but I still want to be as kind and welcoming as possible."

I nod. I know different flowers have different meanings, but I don't know what any of those meanings are. That seems like something Scott would know about, so I make a mental note to ask him later before asking my next question.

"Where did the name Shadow Queen come from? I know you said it's because of BigB's shadow powers, but then how did you get the nickname and not him? Wouldn't he be the Shadow King? Or wouldn't you be, I don't know, the Fairy Queen?"

"To explain that, I'll have to tell you a little bit about how BigB, Ren, and I all ended up working together," Lizzie says.

"I met BigB when I was about your age. At first, I thought he was another human that would try to capture me, torture me, kill me...but then he showed me his powers to prove he wouldn't hurt me. We started working together after that.

"We always set up camp somewhere with shadows. That way, BigB could disappear in an emergency. We met Ren about a year later. After a few days, Ren started calling me Shadow Lady, since we were always in shadows. Then, when I created the Fairy Fort, Ren said we should build a castle. I told him that nobles don't have castles, so then he said that I should be a queen. So I became the Shadow Queen."

Hearing this story makes me think of another question. "How long has everyone else been here?"

Lizzie thinks for a moment before responding. "Cleo and her boys joined us before I built the Fairy Fort, but after Ren joined us. Maybe five and a half years ago? Pearl and Grian joined us three years ago, shortly after I made the Fairy Fort, and Joel joined us a year and a half ago."

Now I only have one question left, but I'm afraid to ask it. The truth is, even though I've only known Scott for a week, I can't deny that I've fallen head over heels for him. Honestly, it's driving me crazy because I've never had a crush on someone.

The words tumble over each other in my rush to say them before I lose my nerve. "How do you tell someone you love them?" I ask, before adding, "Hypothetically."

I can tell Lizzie's trying not to smile as she says, "Ah, yes. Hypothetically." I hide my face in my hands. Lizzie laughs as she puts her arm around me. "I'm sorry, I'll stop teasing you," she says in between giggles. I take a breath before uncovering my face so I can look at her. Lizzie's face has morphed into a kind, almost motherly expression, although I can still see laughter dancing in her eyes.

"I know you probably want me to tell you some great trick or something," Lizzie starts, "but there's no trick to telling someone you love them. You just have to say it."

"That's it?" I ask, incredulous. "How am I supposed to just say it?"

Lizzie shrugs. "That's for you to figure out. But I can tell Scott cares about you just like you care about him. And that's really all that matters, right?"

"Wait, you think Scott likes me back?" A sudden warmth fills my chest. Lizzie smiles as she says, "I don't think he likes you back. I know it." I look away to hide that I'm grinning like an idiot.

"Well, if you're sure, then I guess I'll tell him," I say, but then a new worry pops into my head. "Is it too early to tell him I like him? I mean, I've only known him for a week."

"There's not really a guideline for 'too early' or 'too late' in a relationship," Lizzie replies. "And I'm not one to judge what's right for your relationship with Scott. But you and Scott have been through a lot together and that can draw people closer than any amount of time ever could. And anyways, you don't have to tell him now if you're not ready. Just wait until it feels right."

I give her a grateful smile. "Thanks Lizzie," I say, and she smiles back. "You're welcome, Jimmy. Just let me know if you ever want to talk again."

We head back to Joel's house. Scott is waiting right outside, and he smiles as soon as he sees me. "Took you long enough," he teases. "You ready to head back?" I nod. "Yeah, sounds good."

As we're walking home, Scott asks, "So, what questions did you want to ask Lizzie?" I start to panic. I can't tell him about my last, and arguably most important question. So I simply answer, "Just about how everyone joined the Fairy Fort."

Part of me wants to tell Scott how I feel right now, but I'm too nervous, so I compromise by grabbing his hand. Scott startles a little, but then he smiles and gives my hand a quick squeeze. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to let go of his hand once we got back home.

As I'm lying in bed later that night, I promise myself that I'll tell Scott how I feel, not just yet, but sometime soon. When it feels right, I think, Lizzie's words echoing in my head. With that thought, I fall asleep.