Chapter XIV - Luke

Things feel normal lately. As normal as my new normal can feel. The image of Peter that keeps playing in my head doesn't help, but so far I've been strong.

So what if my husband was standing in our kitchen once wearing only bike shorts while he squirted a bottle of water in his mouth and all over his chest when he didn't know I was there?

That means nothing.

So what if I ran back to my bedroom to jerk off?

That means even less.

So what if I almost got in bed with him one night when I heard him jerking off— Nope! Not that one. Not going there.

I've started a good routine for myself this week. I wake up, go work out in the basement, get ready for university, and then as always here I am waiting for Wells since we both have second period free. It's quite hard to find classes close together when you're near graduation, and even harder when your velcro of a best friend demands you find classes that align with his so he's not alone.

I see Ryan and Brady coming my way and make room for them on the bench near the cafeteria while waiting for my order. They're quite possibly the most nauseating couple on campus. Who could have guessed they started as enemies until Ryan broke into Brady's apartment? I can't imagine ever hating someone and ending up living with them. Though, they both admit they had the hots for each other since day one.

"Hey, man," Brady takes the spot next to me. "Where's your other half?"

I roll my eyes like I do every time he says that. He's dead set on Wells and I being meant to be but, eh, no thanks. That'd be like hooking up with a brother and even though I love a good 'cest story, I'd rather leave that fantasy on the pages where they belong.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out to find a text from Noah.

TARZAN: "You're still on for tonight?"

I'm nervous as fuck is what I am. This is the first time in my life that I'm going on a date. How do you behave on those? Is there etiquette for it? I asked Wells and he laughed at me, and Google was just as helpful.

"Ooh! Hell and fucks yeah you're on for tonight!"

Wells startles me and I jump a little only to look up and catch him above me behind the bench and reading my text.

"You're a clown!" I say.

"Yeah, but I'm your clown. Did you order me something?"

Just as he asked, they called out our order. "Order for pain in my a—" The girl stops herself on time and laughs, and Wells once again being himself pulls a yucky face and says, "Eww! I would never go near her ass. She doesn't have any balls to play with."

Brady, who thinks Wells is the funniest guy alive throws his head back laughing but Ryan who is shy and more reserved just smirks keeping his head low.

I respond to Noah's text while Wells gets the food.

LUKE: "Yes! On, ready, and kinda nervous too. Are you sure you're ok with me living with my ex?"

Noah was more than amused to find out that the 'loser from the club' was my soon-to-be ex-husband, and that we live together.

TARZAN: "If he behaves I'll behave. You sure you want me to pick you up? We can meet at the place if it's a problem."

LUKE: "Nah, it's fine. He's dating someone anyway. Plus, you're not coming into the house, just picking me up."

TARZAN: "And are YOU still sure you want him to see you with me when I pick you up? Heads up, I'm the type of guy who gets out of the car to open doors so chances are he'll see me."

LUKE: "Yes, that's ok. Peter can go fry pickles in hell for all I care. I'm good, I promise."

We text back and forth until Wells comes back with the food. We eat and joke with our friends then get back to classes and eventually home. Wells insisted on going to my place to 'help me get dressed' supposedly because I've always been a dress-up doll for Peter and I have no style of my own. I think he's exaggerating but with Wells, it's better to join him than to fight him.

I open the front door and it hits me like it does every day that I no longer have a husband. It doesn't feel as gut-wrenching as the first few days but it still sucks. It's too many years down the drain for me to get over it so fast.

Peter's car is in the driveway so I know he's home but I wasn't expecting him to be the first thing I saw once the door was open. His big smile at the sight of me lasts about three seconds until Peter sees who's behind me, and Wells starts stirring shit up.

"Hi Peter, how are you darling?"

Peter tries hard to keep his expression invisible to Wells not wanting to show how much his presence irritates him but Wells is like a child wasted on candy the night of Halloween. I love the guy but holy fucks can he be annoying when he wants.

"Aw, no answer for me? Anyway, I'm going to say the one thing you never thought you'd hear from me. Your husband is taking me to bed."

"To my bedroom!" I rushed to correct him. "Can you cut it, Wells?"

He realizes I'm serious and smiles, nods, then says "Okay, sorry. I'll stop."

One thing I truly love about my best friend is that he can be crazy all he wants, but he would never do anything to hurt anyone, not on purpose, and he knows how to stop when you need him to be serious. Whenever he stops being such a slut —his words— and finds a good man, that man will be the luckiest guy on Earth.

I leave Wells in my room so I can shower. As I leave the bathroom I find Peter leaning against the wall. He walks my way when he sees me.

"Hey, I was wondering..."

Why does he look so nervous?

"I, eh, I was going to cook potato pie and I know you love it so, maybe you want to have dinner with me? We haven't talked in a while."

God, he looks adorable when he puts his guard down. Why do I have to love him so much? Why do I want to say 'fuck all' and cancel the date? I stop the train of thought remembering he's the reason why I'm going on a date. He wants to divorce me.

"I can't. I have a date tonight. Maybe Beth and Marco can make you company?"

The flash of hurt lasts a fraction of a second but I see it there. It breaks my heart because why is he being like this? Why would he be hurt if he wanted this? Just a few words a month ago would've made me forget he ever suggested divorcing. All he had to say was he was sorry and I would have forgotten the pain he caused me. Now it's too late and here we are, acting like strangers to each other. He did this, I repeat to myself. He broke you.

That's enough to make me straighten and say, "Don't wait up for me." This time he doesn't bother hiding the hurt and I don't bother reassuring him. I just turn around and walk away repeating my new mantra.

He did this.
He broke you.