Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

"Thank god you're not white," were the first words out of my mouth when I woke up lying in a strange bed again.

Nyx's worried expression turned into a deep chuckle as he moved from where he had sat to the empty space beside me, his left hand running through my no doubt matted hair.

"Well that is a first for me, I must say. I don't believe anyone has ever thankful for my lack of moonlight tan." Turning, Nyx reached for a glass of ice water that rested on a table by the bed, a straw swirling about the top as he moved it towards me, pulling me into a sitting position at the same time.

Greedily, I drank the cold liquid, pulling gulp after gulp into my mouth and slowly pushing it down my sore throat. When I was finished, I curled back down in the bed, my eyes closing for a moment. Suddenly I sat back up, my sight swimming at the movement, but I pushed the nausea that flooded with it away to stare in shock at Nyx.

"H-how are you?"

Nyx chuckled again. "How am I here and not rotting in a cell in the dungeon?"

I nodded vigorously.

"Well it seems they thought when you finally came to, that you may have gone feral due to the stress of what you had gone through. Honestly I think they were hoping you'd tear me to shreds then come back to your senses."

We both snorted at the same time.

"I don't even remember what happened. Wait... Were they really worried I would turn into a savage beast because their forcing me to marry someone?"

Nyx's brow furrowed in confusion. "Are you saying you don't remember what happened?"

I titled my head only to cry out in pain, my hand lifting to my neck only to be stopped by Nyx.

"Don't pick at it, alright?"

I nodded, but still touched the area, my hands finding thick gauze.

"Holy shit what happened to my neck?"

Nyx leaned away from me, his eyes growing hooded as thoughts swirled behind them. Just as he was about to say something, the man I had met before burst into the room and rushed to my side.

"You're alive! Thank god! I am so sorry. I know you may never forgive me, but please just give me a-"

"Dude, chill."

The man let go of my hand, which he had been holding on as though it were life support.

"You're not mad?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course I'm mad. I can't believe those old pricks think they can force me to mate someone against my will. But at least they let Nyx in to see me, so it's not like I can go and start a riot right now."

The man continued to stare at me. "But you're not mad at me?"

I laughed, but stopped when the throbbing in my neck started to get worse.

"Why would I be mad at you? Dude, I don't even know you."

The man glanced over at Nyx, "Is this some kind of trick?"

"I wish it was," Nyx growled out in response, moving closer to me.

"Hate to step into your pissing contest, but would you both mind backing off me. For some reason I'm not feeling all that great. My neck hurts along with my shoulder and I'm freaking tired for some reason. Must have saw my future mate's face and fell on something out of fright."

Rubbing my gauze-covered wound, I ignored the strange man's growl and focused on the growing hunger that seemed to clash with the drowsiness I was feeling.

"Think I could get some breakfast?"

Both men glanced at one another again, then Nyx smiled. "I'm sure the beast could get you something."

The other man narrowed his eyes on Nyx. "Watch it, rogue."

Nyx snorted, making me giggle and causing the other man to snarl. "Get her something to eat. After all it is the very least you could do."

"Sure. What do you want?"

I smiled. "Rice porridge with cinnamon and sugar and some bacon please!"

"As milady requests-"

Nyx snarled at the man, who in turn snarled back. They seemed to glare at one another for a long time until my stomach growled. The man moved towards the door, his eyes never leaving Nyx.

"I'll be back with your breakfast."

When he was gone, I turned and narrowed my eyes on my best friend.

"Alright, what the hell is going on between you two?"

Nyx sighed and shoved me over gently, making himself comfortable in the queen-size bed. Wrapping a comforting arm around me, he pulled me close.

"I missed you so much, Aim, but I can't stay long. They aren't going to let me run with you now, but I have to get back to the others."

My body tensed at what he was saying, tears beginning to well up in my eyes.

"I will come back for you Aim. I promise I will, but I have to make sure the pack is safe. Something is going on, something I don't like. Max and Cold were taken days ago and I have no idea where they were taken to. Both our pack and Max's pack need an alpha to guide them to safety."

I sniffed. "I understand," wiping my eyes, I nuzzled into his shoulder affectionately. "I will do what I can so you can get out, I'll cause some kind of distraction. Escape when you can and get back to everyone. Give Rosie my love, alright."

Nyx kissed my forehead and gazed into my eyes a moment before slamming his lips against mine roughly. When he pulled back we were both breathing hard.

"I will come back for you. This is a temporary goodbye."

With that, Nyx slid out of the bed and went to lean up against the wall by the door, waiting for his chance to run. However, as happy as I was about the affection he had suddenly showed, something in my stomach turned. The kiss he had given me left me feeling... wrong, dirty even, and it confused me all to hell.