Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

               I had to say this for Tanner, he really liked to live well. Where we lived in shabby tents, it would seem Tanner made sure his pack lived with housing facilities. Everywhere I glanced, there were mobile trailers, making me wonder just where he was getting all the funding for such luxuries when Nyx, like the rest of us, slept in tents on the cold ground.

               “Flashy bastard.”

               Ash was still sore about the lack of attention he was getting from Tanner even though they had been in the same pack as teenagers. I couldn’t blame him for his grumblings along the pack link we shared, but I was desperately wishing I could tune him out. However, due to the welcome we got when we got here there was no way I was blocking the link in case we got separated. It may seem like the werewolves looked at me with fear, but I doubted it was reputation they feared. More likely they feared me due to Nyx and the rumor that we were lovers or even mates. Though Tanner had dismissed that notion of mates early when he had tested my scent.

               Turning my attention to my current host, I couldn’t help but feel on edge around him. He had six years of life experience on me, and had a calculating mind is his pack grounds was anything to go by. The way he moved, it was almost as if he were a territory alpha, accepted and acknowledged by the werewolf counsel. The same went for the wolves under his order. I still couldn’t shake the discomfort from early on how his sentinel had reacted to us, how he had claimed the territory as if they weren’t just going to be staying for a month or two before moving on.

               Sighing, I pushed the puzzling thoughts away and focused on my mission. I needed Tanner to loan Nyx wolves for the raid. It would be even better if Tanner came along, but I had a feeling he wouldn’t be fighting on the frontlines anymore. Perhaps age and alpha status was getting to him, making him more inner placed within his pack than throughout it, I didn’t know.

               “Fancy digs, Tanner,” Ash stated as we came up to a large RV.

               “I’ve had my fill of living in tents on the cold hard ground. Seemed with the money we had from raids, it was only fair to upgrade people’s living arrangements.”

               Nodding my head to his explanation, I watched as he pulled the door to his makeshift home open and ushered me and Ash inside. Murmuring a thank-you for his behavior, I climbed on up, my nose assaulted with various scents of Tanner’s wolves, several of the fairer sex, but there seemed to be something familiar. Moving in further, my brows pulled together in a furrow as I scented the air, my inner animal unhappy with not knowing it, yet knowing it still. It was like before, with Ash pulling out of the gas station. A scent that teased me, yet held no name or face.

               “So how is Nyx doing,” Tanner asked as he settled onto the soft plush looking seating area that seemed to wrap around a medium table.

               Climbing next to Ash, I leaned back and closed my eyes a moment, trying to settle my inner animal before something happened to Tanner’s furniture. Blinking them open, I glanced up to see that Tanner’s eyes had that eerie golden glow to them again as he stared back at me awaiting an answer. 

               “Busy. In fact, the current reason he is busy is why we are-“

               “Got any snacks?”

               Both Tanner and I growled low as Ash propped himself beside me waiting. Elbowing him in the ribs causing him to cough and groan, I shook my head. “I apologize for Ash. Now back to why we-” I hissed the ‘we’ part of my statement to catch Ash’s attention, “are here is to request any possible aid you may be willing to offer on a pack raid of possible high standing attendants.”

               Ash snorted, rubbing his ribs. “There is going to be a big ass celebration at the Winter Falls pack due to some brat being popped out to greet the sun. Supposedly multiple territory alphas are going to attend.”

               I groaned, beginning to want to claw out Nyx’s eyes for sending Ash with me. The man couldn’t keep quiet for five minutes, I swear. His lack of any kind of polite and political depth was going to get him strangled or disemboweled by Tanner if he didn’t start paying attention to the annoyed man’s facial features.

               Settling my gaze over Tanner’s right shoulder, I waited for him to say something. Honestly, I didn’t have high hopes of getting help from him now. Ash had already been a pain in the ass and Tanner seemed to have something going on here where his pack was. Yet, as curious as I was about it all, I didn’t plan to ask.

               I nearly jumped when I felt warmth engulf one of my hands, my eyes snapping to Tanner’s face then trailing down his jawline to his throat all the way to his large warm callused hand that had draped it’s self over my smaller slender one.

               “I’ll send a few men with you to return to Nyx’s pack to aid you. Will you, yourself be attending this raid by any chance?”

               Tugging my hand free with little insult as I could by pretending to cough and using the hand to cover my mouth, I cleared my throat and nodded. “Yeah, Nyx too, probably. He never sends us out without him leading the charge.”

               “Yeah, well, not me. I’m planning on staying home to watch over the monsters with Rosie,” Ash grumbled, though it sounded more like he was being forced to stay home and watch Rosie more than watch the pack.

               Tanner had a frown on his lips, but it seemed to disappear a few minutes later, replaced with a smile. “Yes, well I will defiantly send some of my wolves back with you. Again, I am sorry I am unable to attend. Please send Nyx my regards when you see him.”

               Rising to my feet, I nodded to Tanner, bowing my head a moment in respect to him before stretching. “We really appreciate the aid, Alpha Tanner,” his eyes flashed gold as his title rolled off my lips causing my own inner wolf to jump at the edge of my human flesh before receding. Instincts were trying to tell me something, I knew. I could feel the nagging at the back of my mind, but I pushed it away.

               “I’ll walk you back to your car if you will be leaving now. I’ll be sending Ben and Mange with you. A few others will follow behind in their own vehicle, and I’m sure you can do introductions later.”

               I smiled at Tanner for the first time, happy that he was willing to help. He seemed to be shocked by my sudden facial reaction towards him and froze a moment before leading us to where our vehicle was parked. There he introduced Ben and Mange, wished us luck, and watched us drive away. The entire time, I could have sworn something almost predatory was watching us as he grew smaller in the review mirror.

               A small shiver ran down my spine.

[Image of Rune in Media.]