Chapter 22

Chapter 22: Third POV

Damien didn't know what to do. Ever since he bit her, she has seemed off – oh who was he kidding, the girl didn't even remember him biting her, let alone meeting him. But she did remember some things, like her fate – and that no good rogue leader of hers.

If he wasn't so pissed at himself already for nearly killing the girl before, he could strangle her now. Thanks to her, he had to explain to the counsel why the hell the number one rogue leader escaped under his watch all because he had let the damned man out to see if he could ease some of Aim's distress.

Now that number one rogue leader was running about doing goddess knew what while having the hots for his mate – 'whoa there, don't get ahead of yourself, there is no guarantee she's yours now.'

Damien felt the beast move under his skin, ebbing up as if to snarl at him. Using what control he had regained, he shoved the beast back, knowing it had already gotten him into enough trouble as it was.

"Alpha Kapoor... The counsel wishes to see you."

Damien spun around to snarl at the lesser wolf from the pathetic pack he found himself babysitting. He didn't want to hear the complaints of old alpha failures who decided they couldn't step down from power. He had a mate to contend with and a rogue to catch.

The wolf whimpered a moment before stepping away from Damien.

"I apologize, b-but nearly half the counsel has come..."

The wolf was trembling now, bowing into himself as Damien lurched forward only to stop at the sight of Aim stepping out of her room with another wolf, a frown covering her face as it had since he left her after re-introducing himself to her.

"Where are they taking her?"

The wolf before him turned to stare at Aim, a smile suddenly brightening his face. "The Luna? They're taking her to the counsel as well, one of the counsel alphas is curious about her after hearing a description of her looks."

Moving forward, Damien began to follow his mate, displeased that another male wolf was dragging her off somewhere before coming to him for permission.

'Coming to me for permission? Oh that's just great, she will love that idea. Better push this possessiveness away or she will never give in to our mating.'

Damien knew how much freedom meant to Aim. From interacting with her and talking with Nyx about her, he had learned how she needed to be free from what she felt was wrong. It still amazed him that Nyx's beast had allowed what he considered his mate to go so long without claim, or perhaps it was the man that held back. How he wished he could have kept in control of his own, then perhaps the girl wouldn't hate him.

Closing his eyes a moment, pausing in following Aim into the drawing room, Damien's mind took him back to that moment. She had been so pale, he thought she was going to die. He hadn't meant to do it, but she wouldn't stop talking about that other wolf – it was driving him mad! Then the beast just rushed forward, clamping down on her for dear life, almost as if he let go the girl would vanish.

When he had released her, her words before she blacked out seared into his mind, causing his throat to close up before his beast let out a mournful howl.

"I hate you, you son of a-"

Opening his eyes, Damien moved forward, stepping into the drawing room full of old men and their mates, watching and judging his every action. This would decide his future here and now, and though she may hate it, it would decide Aim's as well.