Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

               “Do you want to talk about last night?”

               My tired eyes stayed focused on my morning porridge, my spoon swirling about the lumpy grey contents, as I was unwilling to glance up at Nyx, unwilling to admit that my personal demons had caused me to lose control and possibly endanger everyone I loved. I had been weak, so very weak the night before, allowing myself to give in to my inner wolf and let her hold all the power.

               “If you don’t want to talk about it, I won’t force you,” Nyx sighed, his eyes no doubt burning worried holes into the side of my face. “But promise next time you decide to go off and play in the woods that you come to me, come to me and let me watch over you.”

               Letting the spoon drop into my bowl, I finally turned my eyes onto Nyx, my dark chestnut eyes that matched my long layered straight hair meeting with his own golden chocolate ones. “It won’t happen again, Nyx. I won’t risk the pack, our family, again.”

               Sighing again, Nyx looked at me for a minute more before turning his gaze away, glancing around the encampment and checking on said family. “Just come to me, Aim. Let me help you.”

               With that said, Nyx took his empty wooden bowl over to the washing pile and nodded towards some of his other high ranking warriors. They would be planning more on the raid to come in two more night’s time, and Nyx wanted to get word to some of the other groups of rogues that were close by to see if they wanted to help. After all, the Alpha of the Winter Falls pack had sent out invitations to his closest neighbors to join him on the celebration, wanting to show off his prized possession and get rid of what children he could when his guests left the next day.

               A tug on my shirt sleeve had me placing down my ignored bowl of rice porridge to glance at Rosie, who looked worried. She hadn’t really left my side since I had awoken, afraid that I would vanish from her the moment she turned her back. Wrapping my arms around her, I gently pulled her up into my lap and stroked her hair soothingly.

               “It’s all right, Rosie, I won’t ever leave you.” Pulling her a little away from me, I searched her eyes to understand how she was feeling and gave her a reassuring smile. “Even when I’m not here,” I lifted my left hand and pointed to where her heart was, “I’ll always be here, watching over you.”

               Rosie pointed to my own heart then pointed back to herself, making me nod. She would always be in my heart as well, having stolen it the night we found her in that cage. “That’s right little Rosie, always.” Leaning forward, I kissed her forehead then hugged her tightly before setting her down, her eyes wondering over to my untouched bowl of porridge. “Go ahead, Rosie, I’m going to go right over there where Nyx is.”

               Giving her a smile, I turned and headed towards the group leaning over a map and discussing what they were all planning to do for the raid. We had about a day and a half to reach other groups and ask for possible back-up. Already I knew the bubbly looking blonde affectionately known as Cold who was standing to the left of Nyx would be going out to seek said aid. Like me, she was one of the faster wolves in the group, if not the fastest, and had she not been able to shut down and become a frigid iceberg, her name might have been more suited to her speed.

               Everyone turned at my approach, my lips forming a semi-smirk that matched the rest of their confident faces. Obliviously everyone was excited to jump in and fuck shit up for a territory hording Alpha. It was sort of funny, really. We were labeled rogues because our appointed alpha was not considered an alpha to the Council, and therefore we were not technically allowed to be a pack. Everyone smirking about the idea of liberating mistreated wolves right now were considered traitors to the werewolf race, traitors to the packs they had been born to or traitors for being born in the first place through an unsanctioned mating.

               “Hey Aim, have a good night,” Cold asked, her eyebrows wiggling.

               “For the last time, all we did was sleep,” I laughed out at her, rolling my eyes.

               Everyone had seen Nyx and I leave his tent this morning, and his scent lingered on my unbathed flesh and hair from laying on his bedding and in his arms. They all assumed we have a bit of fun every once and a while with one another due to how close we are, and I’m sure a few were waiting for when Nyx asked me to be his Luna, but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were them. Being a Luna wasn’t something I wanted, and Nyx… I didn’t know about that one. He was my closest friend, having found me seven years ago lost in my wolf, practically feral. He had found me, and like little Rosie, he had helped me come back to myself, helped me train to be better, helped me unlock my talents. He was to me what he was to everyone else here, our savior.

               “Whatever you say, Aim….” Cold winked at Nyx then.

               “I believe her. That or Nyx just sucks in bed, because she didn’t have that satisfied look this morning when she crawled into her own tent to get dressed,” Rune tuned in, adding his own opinion, his eyes trailing over my face and dipping down to my form before moving towards Nyx with a questioning look.

               Growling a little, though out of mock anger at his manhood being questioned when it came to between the sheets, Nyx took a “threatening” step towards Rune. Hands flying up, Rune shrugged. “Hey, no harm Nyx, I’m sure any female would be lucky to roll about with you.”

               Everyone broke out laughing at Rune’s emphasis on female, since Rune was openly gay, even Nyx, who just gave a knowing look as if he knew he were the top stud around here.

               “Can we get back to the details,” Ash groaned out, his ribs no doubt aching from how hard he had laughed.

               “So Cold is going to run to Max’s territory to ask her if she is going to send some people in for us when the raid goes down. Aim,” Nyx turned to look at me, “I want to send you and Ash towards Tanner’s pack and ask him.”

               I raised an eyebrow and glanced over to Ash. “Why both of us?”

               Nyx just gave me a knowing look, and I shrugged the question away, already understanding the answer. I was fast, and I was needed, but because of last night he didn’t want me to go alone when my wolf may take more control.

               “Come on Ash, let’s go pack for our wondrous journey.”

               “Oh, and Aim,” Nyx called from behind me, causing me to glance back. “You’re taking a vehicle and sticking to the highway.”

               My eyebrows furrowed at that. Why even send me if we were taking a car?

[Image of Ash in Media]