Chapter 6

Chapter 6:

               I was on my third teriyaki beef jerky stick when Ash pulled off on what looked like a possible road to death, or something out of those horror movies where you just know the road doesn’t lead anywhere good. Though, in our case, we knew what was at the end of this one; Family. Just thinking about my fellow rogue wolves brought a grin to my lips as I swallowed a tasty bite of sweet meaty goodness.

               “Man…. Tanner is such a pain in the ass to deal with at times. Let’s hope he isn’t being a royal dick today, hey Aim?”

               “Even if he is, I’m sure he will chill out when we tell him Nyx sent us. You know Tanner and Nyx have a great deal of respect for one another.”

               Ash snorted. “Nyx is probably the only person Tanner has respect for these days.”

               I couldn’t really disagree. Tanner seemed to take to being considered an alpha a little too much for my own tastes. Though he still led his pack the way a real alpha was supposed to, it hadn’t come without cost. The cost being his charming macho personality. The man was a walking ego. Personally, I was amazed he hadn’t tried to become a bloody king of rogues, though if there was an election he’d no doubt lose out to Nyx. Though only twenty-nine, Nyx had earned the love and trust of almost every rogue he came across due to his dedication and willingness to put his own ass on the chopping block for others.

               I wasn’t sure the same could be said about Tanner as I didn’t run in his pack or converse with the members he had accumulated over the years. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to visit either, I was just busy being Nyx’s practical left hand man. Some say I was his Beta while others said I was his closet Luna. Personally I wouldn’t claim either title. I was just his friend and a member of his growing family. I did what I could for that family and in return they were there when I needed them.

               Grabbing my second full throttle and finishing off the contents, I glanced over at Ash as he parked the car and unbuckled, both of us awaiting the sentinel patrol to come out from where they were hiding. It didn’t take long before a large male werewolf came knocking on Ash’s window, a pointed look on his face that Ash had better roll the damn thing down. A second werewolf appeared at my own window, a gleaming metal revolver pointed straight at my temple.

               Ash just sighed, seeing our reception. “I guess this gives us our answer on how his attitude is going to be today.”

               I laughed, startling the werewolf pointing the revolver at my temple, his eyes flashing with fear a moment before his partner snarled and reached through the window to grab Ash’s shirt, jerking him forward.

               “Who are you and what are you doing on our territory?”

               My eyebrows rose. That sounded a lot like pack patrol mutt grammar to me, too much for my liking in fact. Curling my fingers, I took a slow deep breath and counted backwards from ten before moving, my hand knocking the revolver from my temple as a shot rang out through the roof of our car, my other hand swiping the male werewolf through my window with partially shifted claws as I took hold of the gun, using the werewolf’s moment of pain to wrench it from his hand and point it directly at him in return.

               The werewolf who held Ash growled at me, tightening his grip while his partner sported a wonderful set of bloody claw marks across his face. Ash just smirked and relaxed in the behemoth’s death grip. “I see I don’t have to worry.”