Chapter 16

Chapter 16:

            My fingers fidgeted with the soft cotton fabric of the dress I had been given to wear after I had gotten cleaned up. It wasn’t really that bad of a dress, fitting comfortably but not tight along my torso then flowing freely down over my hips to mid-calf. It was more plain than I had first thought as well, which gave it another bonus in my book.

            Though I was nervous as to what would happen next, there was a strange blooming hope within my chest. After all, Cold had taken the grief from my heart.

            “Cold, is Nyx still… still alive?”

            “Yes! He’s been trying to contact you, but couldn’t. We thought they had killed you or forced you to switch packs like they are forcing Max and I apparently.”

            I had thought him dead, had dreamt of his blood soaking into the ground, but now I knew otherwise. Nyx was alive, he was holding on for the pack, for our home. But would our home be mine for much longer?

            I didn’t know the answer to that. I had thought I would be killed soon, but things weren’t appearing to be that way. In fact, the wolves who have been guarding me since my shower have been rather protective to put it bluntly, to the point I’ve heard them growl at others as they had taken me to the main house and away from the dungeon I had been kept in. I wish I knew what was happening, wish I understood the looks these wolves were giving me from time to time as I paced back and forth, awaiting my sentencing.

            Pausing in my movements, my head cocked to the side as I felt a brush of power run over my skin. Inhaling, I took in the scents that surrounded me, so unfamiliar and yet there was something there just out of reach. It was as if I could taste something from childhood, something I haven’t had in years but was there in the recesses of my mind, taunting me with the familiarity of it.

            I took another breath, then another, trying to pull as much as the scent in as I could, trying to remember where I had scented it before. Images flashed as my eyelids dropped, images of a large wolf then of a black jeep. Soon they shifted to Tanner’s RV. Every place that scent has touched my senses, everywhere I have had the overall nagging in the back of my mind that I was missing something very important, something I should have focused on, but couldn’t due to my oncoming Heat.

            My eyes snapped open at the sound of someone clearing their throat, my lithe body turning to find a man I had never seen before examining me with dark brooding eyes. As he seemed to take in my appearance, I couldn’t help but feel I have meant him before, my brain again conjuring images of that familiar scent till all I could see was a large dark furred wolf rolling around in the nighttime. Zoning back onto his eyes, knowing I was staring but unable to look away, I could see the animal within him starting to stare back at me, one of his finely shaped dark eyebrows arching and his well-defined and sharply curved lips turning into a casual grin.

            Moving my eyes from his face, they began to examine the rest of him without my emotional or mental consent to do so. Instead they defied me, drinking in his broad shoulders, muscular arms constrained beneath a long-sleeved men’s work shirt. My vision seemed to roam over his harsh plains, noting that there was nothing but muscle standing before me, and werewolves were strong enough without a body full of taunt trained muscle. There was no doubt in my mind that this man could easily snap my neck and walk away.