Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

               Pack slung over one shoulder, I bent down and gave Rosie a quick kiss on the forehead. “Be good while I am gone, little Rosie, and I might have a surprise for you when I get back.”

               Sighing at her happy face, I turned my gaze to Nyx and raised an eyebrow. I still didn’t understand why the hell he was sending me and Ash if we were taking a bloody car. The whole point of sending me is for my speed, but that becomes pointless when we throw in a gas guzzling vehicle. I still didn’t see why Nyx couldn’t just send Ash, the guy lived for car trips and gas station snacks. Seriously, Ash’s stomach was like a trashcan, I was amazed he didn’t turn into a raccoon instead of a wolf.

               The loud bang of Ash slamming his door caused me to look away from my shadowy eyed alpha and climb into the passenger seat.

               “Remember to stay out of town and stick to the highway Ash,” Nyx yelled as my companion shoved his foot on the gas and peeled out of our home away from home.

               Ash snorted and rolled his eyes. “Damned worrywart. Honestly, stopping at the gas station to fill ‘er up and grab some snack food is not going to kill us.”

               “I take it then that we will be going into town?”

               Ash glanced at me before taking a left turn that answered my question. “We won’t be there long enough for them to get a whiff of us. I swear he thinks someone is after us now or something.”

               Snorting, I shook my head. “We’re rogues, someone is always after us, Ash. If they weren’t, we wouldn’t be considered criminals, now would we?”

               “Come on, Aim, you’re as carefree as I am. Being carefree means exploring territories despite the bitchy princess who swears he owns it.”

               Alright, Ash had a point. I do like to explore carefree despite the possibility of being caught or captured by some mangy pack mutt. Yet after last night, after my wolf led me into pack territory without worry and even had me playfully pounce on a member of the enemy – Well let’s just say, I was looking a little less carefree at the moment.

               Shrugging my shoulders at Ash, I watched as we pulled into an old gas station that luckily was self-service. The least amount of interaction we had with others while here the less a risk it would be that we bump into anyone we really don’t want to.

               “Do you want anything from inside? My treat.”

               “I suppose since you are going in no matter what I say, I’ll take a couple beef jerky sticks – the non-greasy teriyaki kind – and a full throttle energy drink.”

               “Those things will kill ya, you know,” Ash smirked, placing the nozzle from the pump into the gas cap area of the car. Saluting me, he turned and headed in to pay for our wonderful snacks and gas while I sat back in my seat, closing my eyes.

               I must have drifted asleep, the sound of the pump nozzle clicking off bringing me awake with a sharp snap of my neck as I looked for the possible danger. Looking out my window, I noticed Ash was finally at the till with his arms full of junk food. Shaking my head, I slid my slender fingered hand over my door handle, throwing my legs outside the car. The harsh scent of chemicals hit my nose like fire, causing me to whimper slightly. Humans seem to enjoy the smell of gasoline, but having an enhanced sense of smell can really change how one appreciates the burning chemical.

               Rubbing my nose as if I were capable of repelling the chemical scent that way, I pulled the nozzle out and placed it back where it was supposed to go with an audible click. Turning back, I screwed the gas cap back on and shut the outer seal. As I slid back into the car filled with the musky scent of woods and werewolf, the sound of the gas station doorbell alerted me to Ash making his way back to the car.  

               A sharp knock on my window had me squinting up at Ash before raising an eyebrow and hitting the automatic lock on the doors, smirking as he let out a growl and fumbled for the keys. I had to bite back a laugh as he fumbled about, placing his purchases on the ground and digging in his jean pockets. When he finally got the door unlocked and open, I couldn’t help but laugh, unable to contain myself anymore.

               “That wasn’t funny. I shouldn’t even give you any of my goodies now.”

               As if he could stop me from taking something from the goody bags. To prove my point, I leaned over him, my hand sliding down his right thigh, feeling his leg muscles twitch at the sudden attention. Looking up into Ash’s eyes, I gave him a devilish smirk as my fingers played along his knee before I shoved my hand into one of the plastic bags between his legs and pulled out a cold can. Settling back down into my seat, I popped the tab of the full throttle energy drink and tipped the contents into my mouth, moaning at the taste on my tongue.  

               The sound of an encouraging whine came from my left where Ash sat, his eyes seeming to have fogged over a bit with lust due to my little act followed by an actual moan from my own throat. My poor travel companion was now a raging ball of horny werewolf. It must really suck to be him.

               Taking another drink, I rolled my window down to help clear the air of Ash’s arousal, the burning smell of gasoline attacking my nose along with something else, something familiar that put my wolf on edge and had me looking around as we pulled away from the gas station. From my side mirror, I watched as a black shiny jeep pulled up behind us, my eyes unable to catch the driver before Ash took off down the highway after taking a sharp right turn.

[Image of Cold in Media.]