Chapter 57

Chapter fifty seven : unexpected astonishments.

Angelo Moretti

I woke up to Rain's off-tune Italian singing, belting out "Tanti Auguri a Te" with infectious enthusiasm. I couldn't help but chuckle at her energy. She burst into the room with a massive cake and Laurel followed with a tray of cupcakes, all adorned with flickering candles. Rain's eyes sparkled with her usual excitement as she asked me to blow out the candles, knowing I would never agree. We bargained, and she reluctantly agreed to blow them out for me.

After getting dressed, we made our way downstairs, where my brothers and grandfather waited, along with Nova and the others who wished me a happy birthday, which was all trivial in a sense. The morning ended with the usual bickering session among Donatello and Roman as they fought for the last piece of bacon.

As I stood up, pup Leo by my side, as I pushed my chair back and nodded to my brothers and grandfather. "I'll take my leave" I said, making my way out of the dining room. Rain quickly got up from her seat, her expression hinting at disapproval.

"Angelo, your birthday is supposed to be a celebration, not a workday," Rain said, her voice laced with concern as she followed me out of the room.

"I'll celebrate tonight, once I've taken care of some pressing matters," I replied, my tone dismissive.

As we reached the study door, Rain placed a hand on my arm, her touch gentle but firm. Which was refreshing coming from her.

"Promise me you won't overdo it, okay?"

"I wont Rain." I find myself reassuring her once more.

I headed to my study, the sound of their chatter and Nova's laughter fading into the background. As I sat down at my desk Leo curled up at my feet, his eyes fixed on me as if waiting for me to play with him.

I began sorting through the papers on my desk, my mind focused on the details of our upcoming business deal with the Gambino family.

The words and statements blurred together as I worked, but I pushed through, determined to get everything just right. Leo occasionally let out a whine or pawed at my leg, but I ignored him, too engrossed in my work.

After what felt like hours, I finally finished, satisfied that everything was in order. I leaned back in my chair, a sense of accomplishment washing over me and an exhausted sigh leaving my lips.

I never thought that it was possible for a dog to have attachment issues, but here I was.

With pup Leo at my feet, whose tongue was out and playfully wagging his tail. Ever since Rain went to go get ready with Nova, he hasn't stopped being energetic, which made me wonder what the fuck Rain fed him.

I walked to our closet, and pulled out my freshly pressed tux and laid it on the bed knowing very well which dress Rain was going to wear. She could be so predictable sometimes, I  thought as I threw my clothes in the hamper and stepped into the lukewarm shower.

Pup Leo was trailing behind as I got everything done. He was so fucking tiny and annoying as I had to double check on what I was stepping on and where I was going. He must have missed Rain's presence since she babied him so much.

"God you're old now fratello." Roman sighed as he and Donatello barged in without knocking, earning a glare from me.

"How old are you again?" Teased Donatello, as he attempted to catch pup Leo, that was playing around my legs. I shooed them off and followed behind them, petting pup leo lightly on the head before leaving the room while I awaited the queen's arrival. Just as I had moved away from the door, I caught sight of Rain speeding towards the room I has just left.