The Betrothal

"Your Highness" how Vegas' lips brushed lightly on the back of his palms followed by the deep voice reaching his ears and the strong scent of pine with a very mild hint of citrus thankfully hitting his senses after something of glacé watermelon of Prince Kim that was too sweet for Pete's liking has passed, were collectively too much for Pete to handle all by himself. and those pair of deep black eyes were only adding to the beautiful intoxication he was feeling.

Pete took half a step back not able to hold himself in that position and before Rita could reach to support the prince, a strong arm wrapped around his waist lightly enough just to prevent him from falling. "Are you fine your Highness?" Vegas asked and Pete wanted to run away yet stay there forever.

Vegas felt the prince's left hand on his shoulder, lightly pushing him away. "Is he rejecting me?" Vegas thought removing his left hand away from the back of Prince Pete and pulling his right hand that was still holding the prince's hand, letting the prince stand by himself.

"I'm fine, I'm fine" Pete spoke trying to get his senses back "Welcome to the Cerulean islands, Let's proceed inside" Pete rushed to the halls without even checking if anyone followed him or not, leaving the king to sigh of his silliness.

all confused, Vegas looked to Kim who shrugged raising both his shoulders at him.

"Please come" King Arch gestured to follow them inside.

"Did your mate just rejected you help" prince Kim whispered to Lord Vegas as they moved to the palace halls.

Upon entering, the king sat on his seat on the elevated platform and Prince Pete on his right, Prince Kim and Lord Vegas took their seats too.

After a small talk and the king asking about the difficulties of their week long journey, the Betrothal gifts were brought one after another that filled half of the central area. A Carmine royal guard started reading the list of gifts.

- A chest with precious gemstone native to the kingdom of carmine as a Token of appreciation to the king for having raised Prince Pete wonderfully.

"- Gold and silver jewelry for the prince.

- A crate of assorted sweets.

- A crate each of the best apples, oranges, peaches, figs and watermelons " Prince Pete scrunched his nose in that part.

"- A crate of dried fruits and berries

- A chest of mink and white rabbit's fur.

- A chest with crocodile leather in it

- A crate of assorted tea leaves

- 7 barrels of best wine 

- A chest filled with gold.

- A chest containing five intricate paintings.

- A crate of Carmine pigment.

These are part of the betrothal prepared by the royal family, Personal betrothal gifts left by Lord Vegas' mother will be handed to Prince Pete upon his arrival in the kingdom of carmine."

King Arch stood up and walked towards the open chests and crates gesturing Prince Pete to follow along. Prince Pete stood in front of each gift, impressed by some, not so impressed by a few.

"The King has sent a letter along" Lord Vegas left his seat to hand the letter to king Arch.

"Thank you, son," The king moved back to his seat "You two can have some rest, later Prince Tankhunn and his husband will be joining us for the dinner. Prince Pete relaxed knowing Prince Tankhunn will be present later too.

...............................................................................

"Why does it feel that your mate doesn't like you, Prince Pete couldn't even look at you and avoided you the whole time" Prince Kim and Lord Vegas were resting before leaving for the dinner.

"Every union is for elder's satisfaction. Who likes their mate before getting married anyway? Vegas replied, "other than elder brother OfCourse" Vegas answered himself.

"Well, I can't deny what you said" Kim laughed and Vegas looked at him in confusion.

"What are you laughing about?"

" You have a long way before you at least have the same fate as brother Kinn, he got luck in marriage. even your greeting kiss didn't work on prince Pete cousin, what were you thinking " Kim teased laughing.

Vegas joined the laughter, not because it was funny but thinking why exactly he did that, it was so not like him, and all done in a spur of the moment.

When Vegas agreed for the marriage, he knew he can refuse any match brought by the king once or twice but refusing repeatedly will only give the king more reasons to hate him, so he decided to just agree with this match putting his trust on prince Tankhunn. what worse can happen? his mate could be a pawn of the king or a nark, informing about his every move to the king.

Vegas was ready of every possibility, he just wanted one thing, his brother's safety and peace. he could live with a mate sharing no emotional connect, he can live indifferently with a mate his whole life, the only thing he would not do is to abuse his mate, how his father used to treat his mother.

He would have stood by everything he decided until he got down from the carriage and lay his eyes on the prince. It was not his first time to see Prince Pete, he has seen him during prince Tankhunn's wedding ceremony. it was hard to not notice the prince in such a bright color attire and royalty of every kingdom only talking about his beauty wherever Vegas passed by.

But today when he saw the prince, he was so different from that day, not wearing a flowy cloak unlike that day, prince Pete was wearing a very dark blue long overcoat with silver embellishments over a undershirt with ruffled collar and bow in black laces and a Broche on his chest adorned with a big blue topaz. As they walked closer to greet King Arch and Prince Pete, Vegas has stolen few glances of the prince and for the first time he noticed prince Pete's eyes, they resembled the deep blue of the sky reflecting on the sea that Vegas saw while sailing for a week, "They are beautiful" Vegas had thought.

As he moved closer to prince Pete after greeting the king, Vegas could smell the lilac his elder brother had talked about, it was different from what he had sensed from the kid prince Tankhunn brought to the palace or even different from the lilacs Vegas has come across. it was strong, little flowery and woody, mildly sweet, yet strong, it was of his liking. 

Vegas grew up surrounded by strong pheromones, Vegas loved when his mother scented him, the intense smell of plumeria always felt soothing to him. now him and his brother both have strong pheromones which his father always hated, he always told that both the pups inherited it from their mother.

When a strong flowery and woody scent hit his senses after so long, it made Vegas unconsciously happy and he made the rash decision of greeting prince Pete with a kiss, which the prince seemed to dislike.

......................x.......x..........x.....................