All We Have is Each Other

Joel's Perspective-

Etho walked over to the Mezalean palace when he heard someone say,

"Etho?"

Etho turned to his left and saw Joel sitting on the docks.

Etho blushed a bit and smiled weakly, walking over to him.

"Hey." Etho said, and Joel blushed.

"H-hi. I- ..." Joel cleared his throat, "What are you doing here? I thought you were...leaving."

"Well, I can't just leave after our dance."

Joel smiled and Etho sat down next to him, their feet dangling off the dock.

"So why'd you try to run to Frost Ford?" Joel asked.

Etho shrugged, "I just wish things could go back to the way they were before. It was so simple to be a knight and just stand guard. Here, everything's so different and complicated and I can't even tell how I feel anymore."

Joel frowned and put his hand on Etho's shoulder.

"Hey, I know it's hard, but you always have me in your corner."

Etho smiled weakly.

"It's not that simple though. Your parents probably never want to see me near you again."

"Yeah, they were pretty mad at me for what happened."

"So what are you going to do?"

"I don't know. But we'll figure something out. I've figured out how to rebel against them for basically my whole life, I got this."

Etho chuckled.

They looked into the ocean, the calm and deep blue calming them.

"So what's going to happen with us?" Etho asked.

Joel tilted his head, "What do you mean?"

"Well...I mean everything's different now."

"Yeah."

"It's just...every action has an equal and opposite reaction. What if us getting together means that something is going to tear us apart?" Etho asks.

Joel frowned, "You must always think this way whenever something happens, huh?"

Etho chuckled quietly, "Yeah, I guess I do. Nothing lasts forever, it's going to end up leaving, I just want to know when."

"But...this doesn't have to leave. We can work together to be with each other." Joel said, holding Etho's hand.

Etho blushed and squeezed Joel's hand gently.

"Not everything fails in the end. I know you worry that it will, but that's not how everything works." Joel said.

Etho smiled and watched as the sun set over the horizon, slowly falling into the sea below.

The sky changed to a deep shade of red.

As the sun finally disappeared completely, Joel stood up and reached a hand to Etho.

"Are you coming...prince?"

Etho blushed and chuckled.

"You're more of a prince then I'll ever be."

"I beg to differ."

Etho smiled and Joel blushed.

"Neither of us can fit the image of a prince, but you know what we can fit?"

"What?"

"Ourselves."

Joel then leaned in and gently pressed his lips on Etho's.