Chapter 8

You and your friend wrote this story together?"  Mr. Smith asked, "I can't even tell who did what."  "My friend, lord Gilbert Kingsley, did the illustrating and we worked together on the story dialogue." Lady Josephine admitted. Mr smith nearly fell out of his chair, "did you say Gilbert Kingsley? My brother is a teacher and he is one of his students." Lady Josephine nodded slightly and said, "are you saying that he's not a good person?" Mr. Smith winced, realizing what he implied.  "No, he's a very good student, but my brother wants him to write for practical purposes."  Lady Josephine's face became serious, "well, where's the fun in that?" She said, "anyway if you don't like it I can take it elsewhere. Ever since you published my first book, other publishers have been begging me to go to them." Mr smith knew that he could not lose such a talented young author, so he agreed to publish the manuscript. "Thank you. Make sure my friend gets part of the money as well." A few weeks later they each received a copy and their first payment. "What do you plan to use your money for?" She asked lord Gilbert. "I want to buy my older sister something, she moved out with her husband a while back. I want to give her something, but I don't know what."

Since Christmas was fast approaching,  Lady Joseiphine's parents wrote to their daughter and inquired about what she wanted. She thought of Emily, who probably didn't get anything for Christmas since her parents passed away and she had to find work. I don't ask for anything for myself this year. I have good friends, you, and excellent teachers, but I ask on behalf of a friend, a young scullery maid who is my age and has lost her parents. I want to give her something nice, such as the ability to read and write, because I believe all children should learn this skill. Whether for practical or fun purposes."

As her parents read the letter, a smile rose on their faces. "I believe our daughter will grow up to be a good woman, whatever she pursues in life," Lady Eleanor said. Her father nodded, "Yes, our daughter will certainly grow up into a remarkable young woman. But we must get something for our child."

so they got a red silk dress for their daughter. It was red as a holly berry, and on the package, it was instructed not to open it until Christmas.  Meanwhile, she began to teach Emily to read and write during the night, and despite Emily's hesitation,  she began to take to it quickly.