Chapter 12

"You got punished for teaching your friend Emily how to read and write?" Lord Gilbert asked. "Yeah, but I'm not giving up just because  I was told it was against the rules, and barred from the New Year's party, I believe that everyone should have access to education rich or poor."  Gilbert smiled, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You should be a teacher when you grow up, or run a school." He said with a grin. "I wouldn't be any good at disciplining them." Lady Josephine smiled. "Then be yourself." Gilbert smiled, "when you run your school, say that you don't condone corporal punishment. I know several people who don't, including my sister." 

Spring had been blossomed by now, and she had finished educating Emily on reading and writing. "If you want me to teach you anything else, let me know." Josephine smiled as she went back into her room that night, and was aware that she was being watched by the headmistress.  The next morning, lady Josephine was brought to her office, "I assume you know why you are here?" She inquired.  "Yes, you were watching me and Emily last night." Lady Josephine said, looking into her angered blue eyes. "Let me tell you something, miss Fairfax, I plan to run my own school someday, one much better than this. One that can be educational for rich and poor children, one that doesn't allow corporal punishment, one that allows-"  a hard slap mark appears on her small face, but despite the pain, she staggered back up and continued to speak. "I told you, you can beat me to near death, but I will never give up on my dreams." She smiled, looking at her face. "I-I shall write to your father and mother about this!" She threatened.

"Go ahead, they won't be on your side anyway." Lady Josephine said, walking away from the door of Saint Agatha's, and into the streets of London. Miss Agatha Fairfax is nowhere near a saint. Lady Josephine told herself as she reads the sign saying the seminary school's name. She took her entire earnings with her and her stories, the students watched as she walked down the cobblestone streets and out of sight.

Emily looked on and said, "she got hurt for my sake..."  as lady Josephine wandered through the streets, she saw one of Emily's friends, Peter.  She waved hello to him, "miss Josephine, why are you out here by yourself?" He asked.  "I stood up for Emily, because I thought it was for the best to have her learn to read and write." Lady Josephine explained. Peter put two and two together. "She struck you?" He asked. Lady Josephine nodded, and said, "I'm not mad at her for hitting me, I'm mad at her because she is being foolish."