Chapter 13

"Do you know where she could have gone?" Miss Fairfax asked Emily. "No ma'am, I don't." Emily replied. "I thought you expelled her, ma'am." Miss Fairfax's face flushed with anger. "No, I have not."  She hissed. "Her father and mother just moved to the area, so she couldn't walk! She didn't take her personal carriage."   Just then, a knock came on the door came. It was lord Gilbert Kingsley.  "I'm here to see lady Josephine."  He said to Emily. "How's your lessons going?" He asked. Emily nodded and explained that it was thanks to lady Josephine she could read and write. "She's an excellent teacher, really patient and kind." She admitted. "I wouldn't be surprised if she decided to open a school of her own someday."  Miss Fairfax was still angry, she told Emily that if she caught her writing in the ridiculous journal, she would tear it apart. Emily bobbed a quick curtsy and left. "That was rather rude of you to do, Miss Fairfax. I get a feeling something happened between you and lady Josephine." Miss Fairfax nodded curtly and said, "indeed. The child wishes to open a school better than mine! What school can be better than mine?!" Lord Gilbert nodded as he looked around for any sign of lady Josephine. "She left, I've been trying to find her before word gets out to her family." Lily sneered as Gilbert walked by. "You know where she is, don't you?" Lord Gilbert had been called out by a thirteen year old, and she was right. He knew. Miss Fairfax turned to him like a rabid dog and screamed at him, "where is she?" He refused to say anything. Because lady Josephine returned a fiery letter from her mother and father, and said, "here I am, miss Fairfax. I have something for you, it's from my father and mother."

Miss Fairfax swiped the letter, and opened it. Reading it furiously, hoping that her parents would be on her side of the story, not on the child's. But she was very wrong.

Miss Fairfax's hands trembled as she read the contents of the letter:

"Dear Miss Fairfax, We hope this letter finds you well. We were deeply troubled to learn of the recent events regarding our daughter, Josephine. It has come to our attention that there has been a misunderstanding, and we feel compelled to address it.Firstly, we want to express our gratitude for the education and guidance you have provided to Josephine during her time at your school. We acknowledge the dedication and hard work you've put into shaping the minds of young individuals, including our own daughter. However, upon receiving Josephine's letter detailing the circumstances of her departure from your establishment, we were dismayed and saddened. It is clear to us that there has been a breakdown in communication and trust between you and Josephine, which deeply concerns us. We believe in fostering an environment where our children feel supported, valued, and respected. It is evident from Josephine's account that she felt marginalized and misunderstood during her time at your school. As parents, it is our duty to ensure that our daughter's well-being and educational experience are prioritized above all else.Therefore, after much consideration, we have decided to withdraw Josephine from your school. We trust that you will understand our decision and respect our wishes in this matter.We hope that this situation serves as an opportunity for reflection and growth for all parties involved. We hold no ill will towards you, Miss Fairfax, but we must prioritize our daughter's happiness and fulfillment. Sincerely, Mr. and Mrs. Blackwood "

Miss Fairfax's face turned pale as she finished reading the letter. The weight of her actions and the consequences they had brought upon her school sank in. It was a humbling moment, forcing her to confront the reality of her own shortcomings as an educator and a leader. With a heavy heart, she folded the letter and placed it back in its envelope, knowing that she had lost not only a student but also the trust and support of her parents.