Chapter 26

In the evening Maya had made dinner as she decided to pamper her wife. Carina had pampered Maya ever since the first hormone-injection so now they turned things around. Maya was back at work but refrained from going into actuall fires, while also trying not to be suspicious about it.

When they were done eating dinner the three of them worked on the aplication for adoption. Carina and Maya had gotten over it with the lawyer but the still wanted to have everthing right and ready to send in the next day. While they were working, their phones dinged. "Oh i got the result from the IQ-test." Kathy said "Same." Both Maya and Carina nodded.

They opened it. "Okay. So 100 is the average." Maya said "Lets see. Okay. Who wants to go first?" Kathy and Carina looked at Maya. "You go first. But remember this is just a number and it is a very niech thing to be good at okay. Inteligence i not solely Puzzles and combination. Right!" Maya nodded. "I got 123. Funny. I like the number." "Thats great, Mom." "I got 146. That is actually higher than i expected." Carina said. "I knew it. You are gifted." "Sure. But you have to be rather gifted for medschool and stuff so most doctors are." "Okay. Lets see what about you Kathy?" "I got 168. fuck. Sorry. I didn't want to curse. I am actually really smart." "We knew that, honey. We are proud of you, but remember smart isn't the only thing you have." "I know. But it is super cool." "It is." Carina said and rubbed over her back.

A few days later Carina invited Leyla and Raya for a barbecue.

Maya and Carina bustled around the backyard, setting up the grill and arranging chairs. The warm spring sun cast a golden glow over everything, promising a perfect afternoon for outdoor dining.

As they worked, Maya couldn't shake the excitement bubbling inside her. She had not met Leyla and new people gave her anxiety. Carina had grown quite fond of the Persian- german doctor and had spent a few lunchbreaks with her, getting to know her better. They had started to become good friends.

As Maya and Carina put the finishing touches on their preparations, the sound of laughter and chatter drifted over from the front yard. Maya's heart skipped a beat as she caught sight of Leyla and Raya making their way towards them, their smiles bright and infectious.

When Carina came to set out the freshly baked Garlic bread, Mayas stomach turned and she ran for the toilet only just making it, before she threw up. "Bambina? Are you okay?" "Yeah.", Mayas voice was weak. "Hey. What going on?" "Its the garlic bread." Maya said hunching over the toilet again as the scent flowed in with Carina. "Oh. Bella. I'm sorry." "Its okay. Just maybe put it away. The though alone makes me feel sick again." "Thats the hormones my love."

"Hey, Maya, Carina! Sorry we're a little late," Leyla called out, her voice warm and friendly as she approached. Leyla had brought a persian salad, she had made it without any sesame extra for Maya as she recalled Carina mentioning Mayas severe alergy.

"No worries at all! We're just glad you could make it," Carina replied, her own smile widening as she greeted their guests. "Thank you this looks awesome!" Carina said as she took the salad. Just then Maya came out and Carina took her hand squeezing it once. "Are you okay?" Maya nodded at her and squezzed three times. "I love you."

As they settled around the table, the conversation flowed easily between them. Maya and Carina listened intently as Leyla shared stories about her life in Germany, her persian roots, her journey to the United States, and her experiences raising Raya as a single mother.

"I recently got divorced from Raya's father," Leyla explained, her tone tinged with sadness but also determination. "It wasn't easy, but I knew I needed to make a fresh start for both of us. Moving here to the US felt like the right decision."

Maya and Carina exchanged sympathetic glances, their hearts going out to Leyla and Raya. They couldn't imagine the challenges Leyla must have faced, but they admired her strength and resilience in the face of adversity.

"We're so glad you found your way here," Maya said, smiling. The adults watched as Kathy chased the five year old Raya across the garden. The two kids spoke german together and it was great seeing them have so much fun.

Leyla smiled gratefully, her eyes shimmering with emotion as she returned Maya's gesture. "Thank you, Maya. It means more than you know."

As they continued to chat and laugh together, Maya felt a sense of connection and belonging wash over her.

In the evening Maya brought Kathy to bed. The teen had school no school the next day, but she wanted to go to a big waterpark with Cara and so she had to get up early. Maya loved the special time with Kathy in the evening. The would lay in bed and talk about things they wanted to talk about. "Mom. How'd you know you loved Mamma?" "Hm... In one of our first dates i broke down crying in her arms, and she held me. I didn't know you could recive love for being weak. My father only ever gave me affection when i won a race. But i guess with Mamma i felt seen and loved unconditionally." "Hm.." "why'd you ask?" "Nothing." "You know you can tell me anything?" "Sure. But its not a anything yet, i will tell you when it is."

While Kathy drifted of to sleep Maya went back downstair, where Carina waited. "You want to try?" "What?" "A test. I got one here." "Are you sure?" "Yes. Maybe its too early, but maybe?" "Okay. Lets try."

"Okay i did it and now we wait?" "Now we wait." Carina said. Maya put the test down on the table. "It was a really nice afternoon." "It was. Yeah." Carina cuddled close in Mayas embrace. The timer beeped and both women sat up. "One two three." Carina said and turned it. "Positiv." Maya wispered. "It worked on the first try."

An: i will continue this story in the third book. Also on my page. "We are save together." See you there.
Also what was your favorite part so far?

I am listening to Anne of Green Gables at the moment and somehow, how i write is influenced by what i listen to, yeah if it sounds a bid stuck up, thats why. 😅