part eleven.

-1996-

it had been a few days since lottie went psycho in the attic. cheryl had seen lottie and laura lee sneaking off to the lake, when she asked laura lee about it all she said was that 'lottie was finding god'. cheryl had no clue what that ment but she just assumed they where hooking up or something. that's what her and van do when they sneak off, yet they haven't found god.

a while ago they had found a gun under one of the floor boards but no one knows how to use one, so coach ben just said to leave it until they 'needed' it.
one day van and cheryl were sat on the steps leading to the cabin, sorting through berries the other girls had found while scavenging. that was until travis walked out the cabin with the rifle they weren't ment to touch. 'dude you don't know what the fuck your doing with that, put it down.' van warned travis, but he just brushed past her.

'what's he doing?' mari asked from the fire pit.

'being stupid, that's what he's doing.' jackie snarkily replied.

'no, what's stupid is that we are out here starving with a gun no one knows how to use.' travis said, aiming the rifle up at a bird flying over them and pulling the trigger. the sound made most of the girls flinch, cheryl covered her head and ducked between her legs in response to the gun being fired so close to her with no warning.

'travis!' coach bed yelled, while hopping out of the cabin with the makeshift crutches the girls had made him, allie following him closely. 'put the gun down, now!'

travis dragged his feet over to coach and placed the gun in his hands, acting like a child that had just been drawing on the fucking walls. 'we never touch this! ever. it's a dangerous weapon and it will be treated as such!' he paused, 'that being said, travis is right. we are starving and soon we will run out of food, two of you are gonna have to learn how to use this thing. lucky for you my father used to take me hunting every year, the issue being.. i am down to one fucking leg.' he ended on that.

cheryl, sarcastically clapping said, 'great speach coach?'

'watch it.'

————————————————

they had gathered a little further into the woods to test the gun out and see who could go out hunting for the group. what would happen is that misty would put an old coin on top of the barrel on the gun, and the goal was to pull the trigger without it falling off. sounds easy right? mari was up first and to everyone surprise she managed to keep the coin on. everyone gave her a small cheer before it was travis's turn. he held the one out and as soon as misty put the coin back on he took a deep breath and pulled the trigger, keeping the coin on.

'and that ladies... is how it's done!' he said turning around to have a cocky bow. 'javi! come try this.' travis called out to his little brother.

'fuck you.' javi said before walking back into the cabin, hurting travis's ego.

'wow, nice going flex.' even laura lee was tired of his shit. now it was jackie's turn. when she walked up to the gun a few of the girls where cheering her on.

'kick his ass, jackie!' but she in fact, did not kick any ass. as soon as the coin was placed she look a small breath that moved the whole gun and the coin fell straight away. walking back up to the girls she went to hand the gun to cheryl.

'no thanks! i'm a okay with being the cabins house bitch,' she laughed to herself. instead natalie took the gun and dropped the coin, all of the girls had a lot of faith in here. mainly wanting to shut travis up.

'so close! now maybe you should stick to somthing your good at! like folding laundry, or sucking dick-'
'

'hey!' cheryl and a few others warned him from the log they where sat on.

'i wanna go again.' natalie said taking the gun back.

'can she even do that?' travis asked the coach.

'i'll allow it.' he agreed that travis was being a prick.
once natalie had the gun held up, misty placed the coin on the end, natalie carefully pulled the trigger and did it perfectly, pissing travis off. as his stormed off jackie and cheryl both flipped him on unintentionally at the same time, giving each other a smile after seeing what they just did.

now they had to shoot down cans, if you got all five then you would be a hunter. mari was up first again and missed the third. 'the cans!' travis started again. 'your supposed to hit the cans?'

'shut up!' mari turned to yell at him

'do you like being this way?' natalie asked travis.

'hey, if you shit the bed again are you gonna ask for a do over?' travis fired back. mari managed to get three out of five of the cans which was better than what cheryl could do, she thought to herself. now travis was up to shoot some cans down, waiting for shauna and van to set up new ones for him.

'don't you think we should save bullets?' laura lee asked the coach.

'realistically? yeah. but the nut job that used to live here was clearly hoarding for the apocalypse so we have more than we'll need.' coach confirms. travis starts shooting the cans down getting every single on exept the fifth.

'aw so close flex.' natalie mocked. travis snapped and turnt around, aiming the gun inches away from natalie's face in effort to look intimidating. failing, most of the girls just laughed at him.

'don't fucking call me that!' he yelled.

'travis! put it down!' coach warned again. travis listened, turning back to the cans and shooting the last one down instantly. 'umm.. nice shooting martinez. just don't pull any shit like that again.'
nat took the gun from travis and made him look like even more of an ass by knocking all the cans down first try. all the girls gathered round her cheering her on. 'it's settled then! travis and natalie will be our hunters!'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this chapter is a lot shorter than the rest but it's really late where i am (2:34) and i have to be somewhere tomorrow, but i will most more chapters daily if i can!

word count:1107
🐻