part eighteen.

-1996-

days went by. things couldn't really get back to normal after what happened. they didn't even try. vans speach became better, didn't mean that she did.

'jackie. you have to eat somthing.' shauna said, noticing jackie just playing with her food instead of actually digesting it.

'why?' jackie harsh voice sounded around the open cabin. 'why does it matter at this point?'

she wasn't wrong. laura lee was dead. van got attacked and almost died. it was only a matter of time before everyone started dropping like flies. taissa walked back from the kitchen with an empty metal pail. 'we've ran out of water..' she sighed.

'i'll get some!' allison and javi shot up simultaneously. why were they so uppity.

tai let out a large breath. 'knock yourselves out.' and handed them the bucket.

'i'll race you?' javi said, already striding to the door. bucket in hand.

'oh your on!' allison shot out after him.

'hey! careful, your legs not fully-' the door slammed before cherry could finish. '-healed..' she muttered, defeated.

'why are they so chipper?' jackie asked. offended that the two have fun at a time like this.

'leave them be, jax. let them be kids.' shauna placed a comforting hand on jackie shoulder.

'that's it! i can't do this anymore.' mari slapped her thighs and jumped if her seat and made her way the one of the kitchen cabinets. everyone, curious to see what she would come out with, lent forward. mari walked back over, floor boards screaming below her, with a large jar of lumpy crimson liquid.

'right..' coach ben said, still chewing. 'what is that?'

'it was some berries i was trying to save but i think it may have turned into booze?' she said, peaking through the top. 'i don't know about you guys, but i could use a drink.'

'is it even safe?' taissa scoffed, as if they were actually going to drink it.

'do we care?' coach ben said, fully defeated.

'i have a few more jars hidden somewhere.' mari added.

'if we have booze let's have a party!' jackie's eyes brightened for the first time in days, along with everyone else's. cheryl turned to see what van thought of this, she couldn't make out her face as she refused to take the bandages off.

'yeah, cause we have so much to fucking celebrate..' natalie scolded.

'do we need a reason?' jackie's brows raised, showing off her disney eyes. 'we are all going to be dead in a few weeks anyway.' her tone was patronising.

'it's a full moon tonight?' misty added, trying to give 'celebration' a better meaning.

'isn't it almost home coming? and we packed dressed for the awards ceremony.' akilah asked, though she already knew the answer. just as she said that allie and javi came running back up to the cabin. they had definitely spilled half on the contents of the bucket by now but what did it matter.

'ha! i won.' allie threw her hands up in victory.

'hey! no you didn't i made it to the lake first.' javi reminded.

'yeah? i made it to the cabin first.' allie shot back, both tweens gasping for air as she closed the door.

'congratulations, you both won. sit down, please.' travis said, hushing his little brother and getting him to take a seat. cheryl wanted to laugh, but she didn't have the energy.