Prologue

The sounds of the alarm rung through the Gladers ears. They gathered around the box, dropping everything to see the new arrival. Alby and Gally (two boys) opened the doors, pulling them to the sides and stepping back.

Past the doors, was a small box with supplies in it. Usually, there was someone (a boy) laying in the middle, but there wasn't. There wasn't anyone there.

"Where's the new Greenie?" Someone in the small crowd of boys asked

Gally jumped down into the box and looked around. Someone jumped out from behind the boxes in there, using the boxes to get out. Then, that person started to run.  None of the boys saw their face, just long, orange hair.

"Hey! It's a girl!" Another boy yelled

"She's a runner!" Another yelled

The girl was running towards one of the four walls that enclosed the area. On each one of these walls, was a large door. And the girl was running straight to one of the doors.

"She's gonna go into the Maze!" Gally yelled and began to run after her

Minho, another Glader, walked out of the Maze and through the doors, stopping the girl in her tracks by holding her. He looked down at her, looking at her pale skin and grey eyes.

"Hello, Greenie." Minho smiled

Then, Minho heard a slicing noise. He looked down at where the noise came from, and the girl had taken his dagger from its sheath. The girl stepped back, pointing Minho's dagger at him.

"Where am I? Why can't I remember anything?" She asked with a shaky voice

"Right, this is normal for you to feel this way." He told her, holding his hands in front of him in a way of defending himself

That's when the other Gladers ran over, Gally running over and standing behind the girl with a dagger in hand.

"Do you know your name?" Gally asked, causing the girl to quickly spin around, now pointing the dagger at him.

She slowly lowered the dagger a bit then mumbled, "Wren."

"Okay, Wren. Put the dagger down." Gally told her, but she tightened her grip. He sighed and grabbed Wren's wrist, twisting it slightly so she dropped the dagger. Then, he turned her arm to her back and pressed her to the floor. "Are you doing to listen now?"

Wren winced then lifted the palm of her hand away from the dirt. She sighed and nodded.

"Good." Gally looked over at a boy, "Newt, you're in charge of the Greenie."

Newt walked over to Wren as Gally stood up and stepped back.

"What is this place?" Wren stood up with Newt's help

"This is the Glade." Newt explained with a smile as the other boys began to walk away

"Why are we here?" She mumbled

"No one knows." Alby shrugged from behind her

"What about who put us here?" Wren looked over at Alby

"We don't know that either." He shrugged again

"Are you injured at all?" Newt asked, looking the girl up and down

"I scraped my hand." Wren turned her hand over to reveal a small cut across her palm

"Let's fix that up then, shall we?" Newt smiled at her

She looked up at him and smiled back, nodding. Newt nodded his head in the direction of a small building and began to walk over to it. Wren looked back at the tall walls before following Newt.