Chapter 5.

Everyone gathered together to talk about what happened in the Maze. Wren limped in a little later with Clint walking behind her after he had delt with her ankle as much as he could. She sat down on a chair beside Thomas and listened to the meeting.

"First Ben gets stung in broad daylight, then Alby, then a Griever try's to attack Wren. And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the Maze." Gally told the boys, "Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Frypan spoke up

"Did he?" Gally asked

"Yeah. He did." Wren stood up and made her way over, "You weren't there, but Thomas risked almost getting caught by a Griever to keep Alby safe and away from harm when Minho ran in fear."

"But did he?" Gally turned to her and raised a brow

"He did. I stayed back with him, and everything turned out fine." Wren told him

"And look how that turned out." Gally indicated to Wren's ankle.

Wren went to attack Gally but Newt held her back. "Let me hit him." Wren mumbled to Newt

"Sorry, Wren." Newt whispered to her

"For three years, we have coexisted with these things, and now" Gally pointed to Thomas, "you've killed one of them." He turned back to the boys, "Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt stepped forward, keeping Wren behind him.

Gally shrugged, "He has to be punished."

"Whoa, whoa. Wait." Chuck shook his head

"Are you mad?!" Wren went to step forward again, but Newt held her back again.

"He killed a Griever." Another said

"Minho. You were there with them. What do you think?" Newt asked Minho across the room

Minho sighed, "I think... in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a Griever before. Like Wren said: when I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it."

"So, what do you suggest?" Wren asked

"I say we make him a runner." Minho replied

"A runner? What? Minho, let's not jump the gun here, all right?" Frypan suggested

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck began to chant

"If you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine." Gally said over the noise, "Go ahead. But if there's none thing that I know about the Maze, it is that you do not-."

But Gally was cut off by everyone hearing a siren in the distance. The box. So everyone walked outside and began to run to the box, but Wren took longer than others.

"The box, it's coming back up." Chuck realised

"It shouldn't be." Minho mumbled, then ran over to it.

Once everyone got over, Newt and Gally opened the doors and Newt jumped into the Box.

"Newt, what do you see?" A boy asked

"It's a girl." Newt told everyone

Wren walked over and climbed in. The girl had black hair and a note in her hand. She was passed out and was the only thing in the box. Thomas looked into the Box from above.

"I think she's dead." Newt said

So Wren knelt down and checked the girl's pulse through her wrist. "No, she's alive." She mumbled