Chapter 14.

Wren continued to look around and she found a small, brown box on a table of old and broken jewellery. She slowly and carefully opened the box to see two pearls placed onto some padding. Her hand brushed over the pearls, examining them. Then she picked them up and put them into her pocket before walking away.

Wren walked over to where the others decided to set up camp. She had changed into sage cargo jeans, a black sweetheart-neck shirt, black boots, and she had found a black crossbody bag.

Mostly everyone had arrived back, Frypan and Newt were sitting down while Teresa got changed behind some boxes, and the others were nearby grabbing more supplies. Newt glanced over at Wren as she picked up a first aid kit and put it in the bag she had.

She paused and looked around for a moment. "Something's wrong." Wren mumbled and everyone turned to her.

"What do you mean?" Teresa walked over

That's when all the lights began to flick on. Everyone walked over to one spot to see what was going on.

"That's what I mean." Wren sighed and looked into the distance to see Thomas and Minho running over with a hoard of Cranks behind them. "And that's what we should run from."

"Run!" Thomas yelled

And no one needed to be told twice. They all turned and ran the opposite way of the cranks. But Wren stayed put. She went to reach into her pocket for the flask of Thomas's blood, then remembered it had been smashed.

Before Wren could turn and run, a crank jumped at her and scratched at her shoulder, making a small cut. Newt kicked the crank away and pulled Wren up the floor. The group ran away from the cranks and up some escalators.

"What the hell are those things?" Winston yelled

"Those are Cranks!" Wren yelled back, "The infected! Make sure they don't get you otherwise you'll be infected too!" She saw Newt look over at her with a concerned expression, and Wren instantly knew he saw her get scratched.

"Good to know!" Aris yelled, dodging a swing from a crank.

"You shouldn't have turned on the lights!" Wren glared at Thomas and Minho

"Why not?" Minho asked, running as fast as he could.

"Lights aggravate the cranks, alerts them." Wren explained then pulled out her gun and shot a crank. She didn't aim, but saw the bullet land between the eyes.

They turned a corner and saw a crank in front of them. Before they could do anything, Aris grabbed a broken pole and hit the crank with it to knock it down.

"Come on!" Wren continued running and everyone followed

Everyone ran up another escalator, dodging cranks left and right.

"We gotta find a way out of here!" Frypan yelled

That's when a crank jumped through a window and jumped on Newt, pushing him to the ground.

"You guys continue running!" Wren yelled then ran over to Newt and the crank. She shot the crank in the head three times then kicked it off the balcony.

"Remind me to never mess with you." Newt chuckled awkwardly as she helped him up.

Wren grabbed Newt's hand and made them both continue running. They all ran through a small corridor, cranks following behind them.

"Guys, where are we going?" Newt asked

"No idea." Wren shook her head

They found a door and tried to open it, but it was locked, and the cranks were nearing closer.

"Just keep going!" Teresa yelled as Newt yelled: "Come on, they're coming!"

That's when they reached a larger door and all of them tried to open it.

"I'll hold them back!" Winston began to shoot the cranks

Frypan managed to open the door and they all ran through. Winston ran in after everyone but was grabbed by a crank and dragged back.

"Winston!" Thomas yelled as Wren grabbed Winston's hand.

Wren held one foot against the closed door while holding onto Winston's wrist, trying to pull him back. The cranks clawed at Winston's body, scratching him deep enough to infect him. Wren managed to pull Winston out and tried to hold the door closed with Minho and Thomas.

"Run!" She yelled at the others, but that took attention away from the door. A sharp pain ran through her thigh and she saw a crank's grip on her right leg. Wren cried out in pain and Newt pulled her away from the door.

Minho ran with them to get away, followed by Thomas a bit later on. Newt helped Wren run, her right arm over his shoulder to hold her up. Every time her right leg touched the ground, she felt the pain rush through her body and she cried out again.

They all managed to hide underneath some rubble as the cranks ran past. Wren fell to the floor beside Winston, her back against some rubble. She pulled out some bandages and bandaged Winston up as much as she could.

"Wren." Newt put his hand on her shoulder

"Hold on." Wren tightened the bandages a bit

"Wren!" Newt raised his voice slightly and she looked over at him. "Please." He put his hand out to take the bandages, and she was hesitant before giving them to him.

Because Wren had already bandaged up a now unconscious Winston, Newt began to bandage up Wren's thigh. Wren groaned from the pain and bit her lip to hold back any noise that would alert the cranks.

"What's gonna happen to you two?" Aris asked in a hushed tone, but Wren stayed quiet. "Wren?"

"It's like the changing, isn't it?" Minho asked, and they all looked at Wren

"The changing is a simpler version of the flare, but they both create cranks." Wren explained, groaning and leaning forward a bit when Newt pulled the bandages tighter. She leaned against Newt and he moved her to leaning against the wall again.

"So, you're both going to become cranks?" Thomas muttered

"I don't know about Winston. But I do know about myself." Wren sighed, and it sounded worse than it actually was. She had tested her blood and knew who's she matched up with, but she didn't want to tell any of them.