Year 6: The Sky Is a Landfill

The next day, James slouched in an armchair in the Gryffindor common room, feeling like he'd been hit by a Bludger.

Regulus's silent treatment hung over him like a dark cloud, refusing to budge no matter how hard he tried to shake it off.

Remus and Peter exchanged knowing looks, sensing the weight of James's mood. Remus leaned in, his expression concerned.

"You look like you've been through a rough Quidditch match, mate," Remus joked, a sympathetic grin on his face.

Peter nodded in agreement. "Yeah, you've got that 'I just got hexed by a bloody Slytherin' vibe," he added, attempting to cheer up James with stupid jokes.

James managed a weak chuckle, appreciating their attempt to lighten the mood.

"Cheers, guys," he said, though the frustration still gnawed at him.

"But seriously, what's up with you and Regulus? Seeiously, James." Remus asked, his tone more serious now.

James let out a heavy sigh, ruffling his hair in frustration.

"It's that tosser, Regulus," he admitted, the irritation evident in his voice. "I've tried everything, but he won't even give me the time of day. I'm not mad-- but, I don't know."

Remus and Peter exchanged a knowing glance, understanding the depth of James's frustration. They knew they needed to give him a break, something to take his mind off the drama with Regulus.

Peter's eyes sparkled with mischief as an idea popped into his head.

"I've got it!" he exclaimed, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. "Why don't we pull a prank on old Snapey?"

James's face lit up at the suggestion, a small smirk tugging at his lips.

"A prank on Snape?" he repeated, a flicker of excitement in his eyes. "Now that sounds like a bloody brilliant idea."

Remus chuckled, shaking his head at their antics.

"Count me in," he said, a playful glint in his eye. "But let's keep it simple, yeah? I'm not looking for any more trouble."

Sirius, who had been lounging somewhere nearby, grinned at the idea.

"Hey! Don't forget about me! Moony, how dare you not call me over." Sirius called out, running to Remus, quickly sitting next to him.

***

With their plan in motion, the Marauders set to work brainstorming ideas for their prank. Laughter filled the common room as they tossed around ideas, their spirits lifted by the prospect of a bit of mischief.

As they finalized their plan, James felt a sense of anticipation building within him.

For the first time in days, he felt a glimmer of excitement, a brief respite from the drama that had consumed him.