PART 2 | THE SLEEPING DRAGON

~The Blood of Old Valirya~Chapter I

Chapter I

With the arrival of Dayraena Gelarion, life at Mayrea's mansion had taken on new colors. At least it seemed so to the owner, for she spent more time with her older sister than with anyone else. Of course, Rhea couldn't help but be surprised that in addition to the long-awaited Dayraena, an unexpected guest had arrived. Daemon of House Targaryen. As it turned out later, he was a very welcome guest, because he knew how to have a good time, and for Mayrea that was almost the most important rule of living in her large house. Also, the younger Gelarion's keen eye could not help but notice a connection between the two arrivals, but she had not yet received any confirmation from Dayraena, though the fact that they had come to Pentos in each other's company was telling a lot.

When she thought she would never be surprised, she was mistaken, for when she saw Dayron's bastard Calryn, she was speechless and looked at her older sister with a look that said, "You must be joking." But no one was joking, however, and Mayrea soon realized this. After asking Reyena about the details of this strange story, and seeing how kind-hearted her older sister really was, the mansion owner had no trouble finding a nanny for the little boy and assigning him a room in the far wing where Ilias and some of the servants lived. It was just a temporary arrangement while Dayraena tried to decide how she would raise him, whether she would take him in as her own son or leave him in the care of a nanny who had had experience with children before.

By evening of the same day, the people of the mansion had gathered in the hall to eat the food prepared for the arrival of Dayraena and Daemon as well. The room was small, with only a long dark wood table with chairs and a few soft couches with cushions in case any of the guests tired of sitting on the hard ones. In the corners were tall braziers that gave off a soft, not very bright light. Opposite the table were three arches that led to the balcony, two of which were closed by a thick bardic draped cloth. And the balcony was so large that the table, which had previously occupied almost the entire room, could be moved there if necessary.
For such an important occasion as the meeting with her sister, Mayrea had gone out of her way to invite a few bards to brighten up the beautiful evening with music. Dayraena had not asked for such a world, though she would have loved to spend the evening alone with her sister and have a heart-to-heart talk, which she could not do in front of everyone, but she realized that the opportunity would present itself more than once. Now she didn't have to hurry, she didn't have to be afraid that she wouldn't have time to enjoy Mayrea's company, that she wouldn't have time to talk. All fears were gone now, leaving behind only unpleasant memories that couldn't keep Dayraena from being happy. She is in Pentos, far away from the place that was never her true home, far away from the royal court, far away from the ancestral castle where she had experienced many misfortunes. But Rhaenyra, Daera, Lucerius, Aeneiria... They are the rays of light left in the lands of eternal darkness, whom Dayraena hoped to see again someday.

"So, dear sister, you didn't enjoy the trip, did you?" Mayrea chuckled as she looked at her sister, still pale from the journey on the ship. The evening was in full swing, with food and wine decorating the table and servants scurrying about, making sure the guests were satisfied.