thirteen. the demon king

Reggie had been tormented by worry ever since the camping trip

Reggie had been tormented by worry ever since the camping trip. Despite knowing that Quinni was safe, as her fathers had reassured him and Darren, the images of her paralyzed body, her ashen complexion, and the unnerving fact that she was left unattended for an unknown length of time continued to haunt him. The scene of her discovery played over and over in his mind, leaving him deeply troubled and anxious about her well-being. He could still hear the ambulance sirens from that day.

"Hey, you okay?" Amerie questioned the boy who sat in the backseat through the rearview mirror. Her voice snapped him out of the recollection of that day. He cleared his throat before nodding his head in retort. "Well, stop being useless and bring your ass. Quinni's waiting for us."

Reggie hummed before opening the door and getting out along with Amerie and Darren. After hearing that they could visit Quinni, they immediately jumped at the chance.

After a hop, skip, and jump, the three found themselves inside the Gallagher-Jones residence, knocking on the girl's door. Hearing movement from inside the room, Darren opened the door and peeked their head in. "Hello," they greeted Quinni before fully entering the room, allowing for Amerie and Reggie to do the same. "How you feeling?"

"Better now that I've been home a few days," Quinni replied. She sat up in her bed after seeing her friends entering her room. Darren took a seat on the other end of her bed and looked at the Wadia girl.

"We have something for you," Amerie declared. She revealed the large blue envelope that had the handmade "Get Well" card in it. "Me and Reggie got the whole year group to sign it at school yesterday."

"Oh, my God. This is genius," Quinni stated, now looking at the inside of the card. She got up and walked toward the wall that possessed numerous red strings, orange sticky notes, some handwriting samples, and pictures of students. "This is such an obvious way to cross-check handwriting samples."

The three were bewildered, least to say, as they investigated the wall. The Wilson boy's eyes skimmed over the sticky notes and the different messages written on them. "Whoa, okay, that is a lot of string," Amerie let out. Quinni glanced at the wall and the items on it.

"How long have you been doing this for, babe?" Darren asked.

"Since the first attack," Quinni informed. Darren muttered an, "Oh,", in response, examining at the wall just as much as the Wilson boy had.

"Okay. Well, you know, there haven't been any more Bird Psycho attacks since camp, so I think we might be in the clear, Quinn," Amerie explained. She sat down on the girl's bed as the Gallagher-Jones girl added things to the wall.