sixteen. boys don't cry

Reggie nervously rubbed his hands together as he inspected his clothing in the mirror in his room

Reggie nervously rubbed his hands together as he inspected his clothing in the mirror in his room. His eyes wandered from his hair to his black suit and then to his black Converses. He turned halfway to see his back, making sure that everything was okay. He let out a breath to soothe his nerves. A sudden knock came on his bedroom door. "Reggie, Ant's waiting for you," Vanessa called out from behind the door.

"Okay, be out in a sec!" he replied. Once he heard footsteps retreating toward the living room, he gave one final glance to his apparel. He let out another breath before walking toward the door. He turned the door handle and pulled the door open. He stepped out and turned to catch sight of Ant, his mother, and his father, standing in the living room. Vanessa held a camera as she awed at her son. "Mom, please don't cry."

"I'm not... I'm not," Vanessa declared as she turned away and wiped the tears that developed in her eyes. She cleared her throat and smiled at her son. "Look at my baby."

"Yeah, you look great, son," Richard agreed. He turned to look at Ant. The boy gaped at Reggie with marvel, causing Richard to clear his throat. "And clearly he thinks so too."

Ant's eyes flickered from Reggie to Richard. He apologized and looked down embarrassingly. "Dad, be nice," Reggie let out as he approached his boyfriend. He smiled as they stood close together. "I think you look great too, babe."

"Thanks, babe- I mean... Reg," Ant corrected himself when he noticed the mean glare from Richard. He cleared his throat once more as posed for their pictures. Reggie's back against Ant's front and the latter's hands wrapped around Reggie's waist.

"Watch the hands, dude," Richard warned after noticing the way that Ant placed his hands around Reggie's waist.

Vanessa's voice was sharp as she called out, "Richard!" She then turned to the young couple and flashed them a reassuring smile. "Please don't mind him, Ant. Richard tends to be overly protective sometimes."

"An understatement," Reggie muttered. After a few more pictures, Reggie moved from Ant's grasp. "All right, can we go now? We're gonna be late."

"Yes, go, go, go," Vanessa urged. "Be safe, have fun, love you!"

"But not too much fun, you hear?" Richard demanded. "I'm looking at you, Anthony."

"Dad!" Reggie seethed before closing the door behind him and Ant after they left the apartment.

"I can't believe you know how to drive," Reggie declared as he watched Ant drive toward the school. The Vaughn boy was too focused on the light ahead of him to respond. He just rubbed his thumb against Reggie's clothed thigh. "You keep doing that we may have to hop in the backseat."

Ant hummed at Reggie's words before glancing at the time on his radio. "You're so lucky that we have to be at the school in a few minutes, 'cause if not, I would pull this car over and fu-"