Bad Brunch

"'Elizabeth, Violet, Isadora, Duncan, Klaus, Sam, Keira and Sunny: By the time you read this note, my life will be at it's end. My heart is as cold as Ike, and I find my life inbearable. I know your children may not understand the sad life of a dowadger, or what would have lead... leadled me to this desperate akt... but please know that I am much happier this way. As my last will and testament, I leave you three in the care of Captain Sham, a kind and honorable men. Please think of me kindly, even though I'd done this terrible thing. Josephine Anwhistle.'" Klaus reads from the paper.

"It can't be." Violet says.

The children all stand in the library, not realising that they have been there the whole night until the sun started to rise. The children finally leave the library to get ready for the day before Violet calls Mr. Poe on the phone, that Josephine told them to be careful of, to explain everything.

"'As my last will and testament, I leave you three in the care of Captain Sham, a kind and honorable men. Please think of me kindly even though I'd done this terrible thing.'" Violet says, finishing the letter. "Yes, yes. I understand. I'll tell them. Of course, I'll tell them. I promise I'll tell them. Goodbye." Violet says, speaking in a false happy tone before hanging up the phone and looking at the others while rolling her eyes. "Mr. Poe says, 'we can always rely on Mulctuary Money Management.'"

"Of course, he did." Elizabeth says sighing.

"I just can't believe it." Klaus says, confused.

"It's all there in ink and shaky handwriting." Violet points out.

"Aunt Josephine is dead, and she's left us in the care of Count Olaf." Duncan chimes in.

"It's not right. There's something funny about this note." Klaus says.

"There's nothing funny about a woman throwing herself out a window." Violet says, in a scolding way.

"I don't think that's what Klaus means." Sam says.

"Not funny as in a funny joke. Funny as in a funny... smell. Let me show you." Klaus say, lying the letter on the table and the children crowd around it. "In the very first sentence, she says, 'My life will be at it's end.'"

"And now it is." Isadora says.

"That's not what I mean. She says 'it's,' I-T-apostrophe-S, meaning "it is." She means I-T-S. That's a sizable grammatical error." Klaus says.

"Who cares about grammatical errors when she jumped out a window?" Violet asks him.

"Aunt Josephine would've cared." Elizabeth says, catching onto what Klaus was meaning. "She said grammar was the greatest joy in life."

"That's not enough." Violet argues. "No matter how much she liked grammar, she says she found her life unbearable."

"That's another error. She didn't say she found her life unbearable, with a U. She said she found her life inbearable, with an I." Klaus explains.

"That's not a word." Keira says.

"Our situation isn't inbearable. It's unbearable." Sam says.

"Doesn't matter. Aunt Josephine left us in the care of Captain Sham, and I don't know what we can do about it." Sam argues.

"I wish we'd never read Mr. Poe that note. Then we could've torn it up and forged a new one in her handwriting that didn't mention... Captain Sham." Klaus says.

"Wouldn't it be difficult to imitate her handwriting?" Violet asks.

Elizabeth peers at the handwriting and shakes her head. "Not really. I could do this in my sleep." She tells them.