Chapter Four

Chapter 4

~*~*~*~* Paige’s POV ~*~*~*~*

I just can’t take it anymore. The misery was like a ball of cement, centering itself in my stomach and running outwards, solidifying in all of my limbs, and flowing out of my eyes. The tears dripped down my face and off of my nose. Why does no-one like me anymore?

I reached out, feeling my fingers brush across a smooth coat. I have kitty, but it’s not the same. “You wouldn’t ever hate me, would you?” I pushed my face against his snout. Kitty was my dog, he was a staffy and I had been with him since I was just a little girl.

He was getting old though, old and rickety. But I didn’t care about his limp or his bad breath. I had someone who loved me unconditionally. Someone in my house that I could turn too. Dad had brought a little puppy too, so there was an animal at his house.

I think that it was more for appearances though, he had never really liked kitty. Dad might have done it to try to get me to want to live at his house, to spite mum. He’d been doing a lot of things like that lately – but no other dog would be like my Kitty. No one else could be the friend that he is to me.

I sighed, and wiped away the tears from my eyes. Crying isn’t going to make anything better, and it isn’t going to help either. I still felt as horrible as I had before I had let myself fall down. I pushed myself up off of the wall and sat on my bed, wrapping my arms around my legs and resting my head on my knees.

Kitty jumped up on the bed too, his body laying close to mine as he shoved his wet nose into my side. “I’m okay, I promise. I just need to get out of here.” He wagged his tail in reply, as though he really understood what was happening to me.

Then again, he probably did. Animals were a lot smarter then what people gave them credit for. When I was younger and my parents would fight, I would bury my head into my pillow and cry. Even then he seemed to understand, using his paw to prod me in the back before I would turn to face him. Then he would lick the tears off of my cheeks, like he was telling me that everything would be okay.

And it would be, wouldn’t it? Everything always got better in the end. I lifted my head off of my knees, and looked down at him. “I’ll go to Australia and live with my friends there, remember how we planned it out together? Then everything would be better and we would be away from all of this. The others would help to take care of us too, and we would just be like another family. Except that it would be real, because we would all care for each other.”

He sniffed, shooting air out of his nostrils in a comical way – it had made me smile. I really will take us away from here, both of us will go. Yesterday I had caught dickface hurting Kitty. He was pulling his ears and calling him ‘ugly’ saying that it was no wonder my mum had been ignoring him recently, and that he was unloved.

No-one was allowed to say that to my kitty. Of course, I had been really mad and I had slapped the boy. I got into a lot of trouble, and had been forbidden to leave the house for a month. Not that it mattered, I didn’t go out much anyway.

Even if I did, I would have stopped. I was saving all of my money up so that I could leave. I couldn’t expect the others to come here, and I wouldn’t tell them about this. They would try to help, and would give me their money… It just makes me feel weird when people pay for my things.

They should be spending their money on things more important than me. Once I had mentioned that I needed something, and Adam had sent it to me in the mail. I knew that it had cost him a lot, and I had cried afterwards. He shouldn’t have done it.

I shook my head, and stretched out my body. Kitty lifted his head up and looked at me. “Sorry.” I apologised, my movements must had startled him a little bit. Both of us had been feeling pretty edgy lately.