Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

~*~*~* Nyx' POV ~*~*~*

I held her in my arms as she shook, sitting still in my panic. Sure, I've been around for a while but never like this. I've never held someone close to me while they fitted, when I knew that they could die at any time. When it finally clicked in my head, about what was happening, I abruptly burst into tears and held her closer to me - which wasn't exactly easy to dowhen she was convulsing violently.

I was horrified - I had no idea what to do, all I could do was hold her and cry hysterically. Behind me, I vaugely heard Christian talking on the phone to someone. I felt her being pulled away from me, and I desperately clawed at the air where she had been. I didn't understand what was going on... I couldn't. All I knew was that Eirian was hurting, my little darling was hurting and I didn't know how to help her.

I couldn't do anything.

Seconds later, although it felt like an hour, Demetrious was placed into my hands and I slowly came out of my shock while he cried in my arms. He had been disturbed from his sleep, but he had felt my urgency earlier and the magic had kept him quiet. We had special connections with our children, as a race that rarely manages to reproduce. I stared down at him before I understood what to do.

Acting as though I was a machine, I lifted him closer to my body and gently rocked him. At first my movements were jerky - like a machine that didn't know the real meaning of an embrace. soon enough though, the movements evened out and I felt like I was finally back in control of my body.

"Better now?" Christian asked me, smiling at me softly. I nodded, without looking up from my tiny little boy as he waved his fist at me, his mouth open, before shoving it into his mouth and gnawing on it with his gums. "It's fine, you know. I understand what happened. You were just  little shocked - it's not everyday you see something like that... Particularly when you're one of your... kind..." He placed one of his hands on my shoulders but I refused to look up at him and meet me in the eye.

We stayed in this position, in complete silence for a few seconds before I broke it with a question I knew he couldn't answer. "What do you we do now?" He didn't reply and I was quick to rephrase it. "I mean, with her fitting like that? What can we do?" I whispered, the tears falling down my face starting to slow a little as I thought of the situation in a more logical manner.

"I've put her in the correct position, there is nothing we can do until her body  is fully over taken with the curse. This is normal - I've seen it happen a few times." His voice came out, darkly and I finally looked at him questionally. From the look on his face it wasn't the question to ask though. Not now and not in the future.

"Okay." I muttered, rocking Demetrious as he started to fall asleep. "We'll have to go to each of the witches to see if they can identify the curse. Once we find one that can, we can get to a witch that can remove it." I sighed as I voiced the only logical route we could take.

Christian laughed dryly. "Witches aren't exactly easy to find you know." I frowned at him, not bothering to hide my contempt at his attitude. Sure there weren't a lot of people that managed to survive after a curse had been placed on them, but that didn't mean that Eirian wouldn't be one of the few survivors. "You're lucky then, because I know all of the witches in this area, and it wouldn't be hard for me to find the others that are in the US."

His head flicked towards me as he nodded, his face softening. "I didn't mean it like that, you know. I just..." His head dropped and he looked away from me, softly walking over into the lounge room. He'd probably taken Eirian there to finish...

I sighed, standing up and carrying the now asleep Demetrious back into his bedroom - allowing Christian some time alone with his girlfriend. It was only going to get worse from here. I've seen plenty of curses - probably more than Christine had. The only difference was that it had never been someone that I cared about. The only other person I had in my life, before I was turned was Memphis... And he was gone now.